Saturday, October 22, 2022

Fantasia Fair Day 6 -- Friday

Friday's Keynote was by Mason Dunn. If you remember he was the Executive Director of the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition, my contemporary in Massachusetts and he is now the Deputy Director of Education and Training Programs at the Fenway Institute.

He covered local and national trans activism and he covered not only the bad but also the good that is happening around Massachusetts but also New England and the nation. I learned a few new things but mostly I knew about what he was talking about, one of the topics he covered was about the Connecticut federal case on trans sports. I filed an Amicus Curiae brief in the court case with PFLAG.

Plus after the Keynote I stayed and talked to some friends, the Fair is not just about workshops, dinners, and nightly entertainment but also seeing old friends and networking.

~~~~~~~

My diary from the 2000 fair, 

October 12th

It’s getting closer to the Fantasia Fair, but as it does I have to lie to Mom and Dad and I hate it! I don’t really like it and I might not go to another event, this make me feel so bad lying to them. This is really downer. It’s because I didn’t have to come up with complicated lies, only just smoke it. This on the other hand evolves two lies, one at work - I’m going up to my brothers to help on his house and the other for family - I’m going to a computer show in Boston. Well, where in Boston , who’s going, what are you going to see, how do we get in touch with you, etc. etc…. “Oh, what a tangle web we weave when at first we do deceive… “ or however Shakespeare said it.

October 17th

An other white lie last night, Rick called an asked about my trip to Boston. I’m torn between wanting to go to Provincetown, but I hate all these lies. I have to think of a way to at least come out of the closet to Rick and Donna, but I worry about the consequence.

I’m off to P’town, I made the commitment, so now I have to live with the out come. Hopefully no more lies and that I will have a good time there and not worrying about Mom and Dad finding out.

It was always a problem for me before I came out how to tell my parents and my brother where I was going for the weekend. I invented little white lies, my parents and brother I told them I was going to a computer conference and at work to help my brother paint his condo.


2022 Fantasia Fair (Trans Week)

No comments:

Post a Comment