Saturday, October 15, 2022

Saturday 9: Potential New Boyfriend

Sam's Saturday 9: Potential New Boyfriend (1983)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The lyrics tell us Dolly Parton has spotted a fella who twisted her ignition key and turned her motor on. That was in 1983. Keys are less common today, since many cars are equipped with with push button ignitions and more doors now open for those who know the key pad code or have the right swipe card. What's the last thing you used a key to start or unlock?

Well it depends, does car key fob count? Then yesterday when I drove to the store, if you mean when you insert a key into a lock then it was at the beginning of the month when I unlocked the cottage door. 

2) Her potential new boyfriend bought her a drink and she thanked him real sweet. Have you more recently said "thank you," or been thanked yourself?

I say “thank you” all the time the last time was yesterday at the grocery store to the person who bagged my grocery even though he ignored my request to use all five reusable and he stuff everything in two bags that took both hands to lift. At my car I had to spread the grocery out into five bags.

3) This is Dolly's first music video. "Potential New Boyfriend" was a top 20 country hit and made #13 Billboard's Dance chart, yet it's not well remembered today. Share a song from one of your favorite artists that the rest of us Sat 9-ers might not know.

Okay here is a curve ball, I bet you didn't think that I would pick classical music.

Ferde Grofé: Grand Canyon Suite


4) This is not Dolly's first song about a romantic rival. Her hit "Jolene" was inspired by a bank teller who regularly flirted with Dolly's real (not potential!) husband, Carl Dean. Have you recently fallen victim to the green-eyed monster of jealousy? If yes, what were you jealous of (someone's affections, possessions, success ...)?

Nope, nothing to get jealous over.

5) Dolly enjoys telling interviewers she met Carl at the Wishy-Washy Laundromat in Nashville. Do you have a hamperful of dirty clothes awaiting you? Or are you all caught up with that particular household chore?

Well I don’t have a washer and dryer at the cottage, so yes I have a basket of dirty clothes to wash when I get home next month.

6) Dolly Parton's Imagination Library makes free books available to children. It was begun in 1995, and by 2020, her charity had distributed 150,000,000 books! When you were a very young reader, what was your favorite book?

I didn’t read when I was young, I always thought all books were like Wuthering Heights, To Kill a Mockingbird and the other classic books you had to read in school. It wasn’t until my college roommate turned me on to science fiction that I started reading books.

[Editorial]

Does the reading list in high school turnoff readers?

Do dull classics limit the wonders of reading, would having a reading list of all types of books improve the reading skills of students? Do reading the The Red Badge of Courage, Crime and Punishment, The Old Man and the Sea and other classics cause students not to like reading? Would a more diverse reading list create more readers?

[/Editorial]

7) Andy Warhol was fascinated by Dolly. When he asked her what her perfect meal would include, she responded it would have to start with chicken and dumpling soup. How would you have answered Andy? What's your perfect dinner menu?

Well since I am partial to lobster it would be the main dish. But I have to say that the dinner that I made this week was up at the top of the list.

Chicken  Saltimbocca, wild rice, and a salad. For dessert I had a blueberry cobbler

8) Thinking of chicken ... In 1983, when this song was popular, McDonald's introduced McNuggets. Today, it's one of McDonald's most popular menu items. Are you a fan?

Nope, I don’t eat much fast food. If I did need to stop at a fast food joint it would be for a deluxe chicken sandwich.

9) Random question: Would you rather visit a desert or a jungle?

Hmm… so the choice is dry heat or muggy heat. I’ll take the dry heat instead of the stifling muggy heat any day. This summer on the Cape there were a number of unbearable muggy days this year.

7 comments:

  1. Oh! I haven't had lobster in forever! Sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh #2!!! I LOVE classical music. That is beautiful.
    #6. I think you are right about the books chosen when we were kids not making good readers, but I think schools do a much better job at putting more variety on the list these days. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer dry heat as well, but to give up the east coast would be hard. I like New England and seasons way too much. Love your editorial there.. very true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely classical selection. And at my school, the classics are taught very rarely--it's usually student choice by theme (for instance, my friend the English teacher is starting a unit on incarceration and the class is reading a title as a class but students then choose from several selected titles for independent reading. )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the classical song. I didn't think about the heat aspect of the desert v. jungle question. Hmm. (I was thinking about food, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to be in the mood for classical music but that's a lovely piece and I hadn't ever heard it. I do think a more diverse reading list might be beneficial to young readers. I LOVED reading but some of those classics (and who decides which books are must read classics?) we're terribly dry and boring. I picked shrimp for my perfect meal, but lobster would be acceptable, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the music choice. My mother loved it, and I know it by heart, including the "donkey" sounds which charmed the dickens out of Mom.
    Oh, btw, the next time you are ignored by the bag boy, Stand at the end of the counter and start repacking before you pay. You don't even have to say a word.

    ReplyDelete