On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This song begins with, "You must remember this." Do you often write things down to help you remember?
Well my problem is that I can’t remember it long enough to write it down. By the time I find paper and something to write with I forgotten what it was or I got side track.
2) The lyrics tell us that moonlight and love songs are never out of date. Tell us about something else that seems timeless.
Paying bills… it is never ending.
3) Originally written in 1931, "As Time Goes By" is best known as the love theme from the 1942 film, Casablanca. According to the American Film Institute, there's only one song from a movie soundtrack that's more expressly identified with the film: "Over the Rainbow" from The Wizard of Oz. What song reminds you of your favorite movie?
Hmm… first I have to figured out my favorite movie.
How about this song from Paint Your Wagon… Lee Marvin croaking “Wand'rin' Star”
4) This version is from The George Sanders Touch, an LP recorded by an Oscar-winning character actor. There is scant evidence that it sold well. Tell us about something you thought was a good idea at the time, but looking back, would have done differently.
I drew a blank on this one... maybe I shouldn't do this at three in the morning.
5) This album was really something of a consolation prize for George. He worked with a vocal coach, hoping to win the romantic lead in the film version of South Pacific, but alas, the role went to a younger man. He had fun making this record instead. Have you recently taken lemons and made lemonade?
Yes and I also made fresh squeezed orange juice.
6) He usually played suave but unsympathetic characters. That's why he gave his autobiography the self-aware title, Memoirs of a Professional Cad. What would you call your life story?
Journey in to the unknown.
7) The night he won his Oscar, George Sanders accepted the statuette, bowed deeply and then, safely behind the curtain and away from cameras, surprised onlookers by crying. Have you ever cried tears of joy?
Yes. And then a couple minutes later cried sadness, followed by joy. It was a yo-yo.
8) George Sanders wed perennial talk show guest and occasional actress Zsa Zsa Gabor in 1949. Sixteen years after their divorce, he married Zsa Zsa's less famous but also glamorous sister, Magda. After a month, George and Magda thought better of it and had the union annulled. Sam thinks this is one of the oddest romantic tales she's ever stumbled upon while researching Saturday 9. Have you ever known anyone who divorced one sibling and then married another? (Hallmark movies don't count.)
9) Random question: You're in a line of 25 people at the post office. How many of those other 24 are more patient at waiting than you are?
Yesterday I went to a fast restaurant and the drive-thru line was almost back to the street so I parked walked inside and right up to the counter. There was no line and the kid behind the counter, reach behind him grab a sandwich and I walked back to my car. The line of cars hadn’t moved all.