Friday, October 21, 2022

Fantasia Fair Day 5 – Thursday

Yikes!

The fair is almost over! Just two more days and a wake-up.

The only thing that is on my agenda for today is the Keynote Address, it is right up my alley, the topic was "End of Life Issues for Transgender People." Let's face it was are all getting older and it sure beats the alternative of pushing up daises. Those who know me know that I am involved in many LGBTQ groups on aging including legislation, senior healthcare facilities, and make senior centers more culturally aware of the needs of the LGBTQ communities.

~~~~~~~

Today was excellent!

When I walked in to the Tin Pan Ally for lunch there fair goes at a couple tables scattered around the restaurant I looked around for an open table and there were a couple and there was an open seat at the table where Jude Patton was sitting. Since I wanted to talk to I joined him and his wife, and another person at the table. We talked about our activism on aging and I talked about the Moveable Seniors Centers and then traded contact information.

Then afterwards I went to the Keynote talk which was given by Jude and I learned that he is the author of two book on aging, TRANScestors Navigating LGBTQ+ Aging, Illness and End of Life Decisions: Generations of Hope and TRANScestors: Navigating LGBTQ+ Aging, Illness, and End of Life Decisions: Generations of Change. Yesterday I found out that Version 8 of the standard of care includes senior;
The population of aging/older TGD persons who need to be served by institutions is increasing (Carroll, 2017; Witten & Eyler, 2016). Many long-term care and other facilities catering to the needs of the aging need to take into consideration the needs of their non-cisgender residents (Ettner, 2016; Ettner & Wiley, 2016).
[…]
A survey of retirement and residential care providers in Australia found little experience with or understanding of the issues facing this population. Indeed, many elderly TGD residents admitted to concealing their gender identity, bowing to the fear of insensitive treatment or frank discrimination (Cartwright et al., 2012; Cook-Daniels, 2016; Grant et al., 2012; Horner et al., 2012; Orel & Fruhauf, 2015).
So all in all it was a very productive day.

Note: Tomorrow's post on Fantasia Fair will be at 3 PM.

~~~~~~~

From my 2004 diary...

Tuesday October 19th

Yesterday after breakfast I took a drive with D and W [It was her first time at the Fair]. She has never been to the east coast before so we drove out along the Seashore National Park so we visited Race Point walking around the beach and Visitor’s Center.

By the time we got back from the drive we missed the brunch, so they took a trip on the trolley and I got a quick bit to eat. I then went to the Noon symposium; the speaker was Susan Stryker a historian from San Francisco. I really liked the talk and there was good inter-reaction with the audience.

Among other things that she talked about was gender construct and thinking out of the box. I wish I had taking notes, because as I write this it hard to remember all of the great topics that she talked about.

For dinner they had roll-ups and afterwards Susan Stryker showed a part of a film that she is working on call "Screaming Queens" that is going to be released on PBS in the spring. She answered questions about the film about the riot at Compton’s Cafeteria in San Francisco in1966, three years before the Stonewall Riots in New York. Once again it was very informative about how she dug out the information about the riots and the interviews of the people involved.

Once it was over we went down to Chasers for drinks and to watch the Red Socks beat the Yankees.

Thursday October 21st

Another cold and windy day at Fantasia Fair, not a so great day for wigs. Mine kept on getting all snarled and it had to be combed out constantly, for every broken hair I figure it’s a nickel base on the number of hairs and the cost. So I really hate seeing a brush fill of hairs.

Anyhow, I missed my morning seminar, I thought it was in the afternoon. Oh well. At lunch I listen to a talk by M G on "Bigenderism" which was about how our society is not able to cope with the idea of a society of more than two genders. It was also another great talk and they are attracting more towns’ people to come and listen to them.

In the afternoon I went to a seminar and then rushed back to the B & B to change for dinner and the Fashion Show. For dinner we ate at an Italian restaurant on Commercial St., called "Front Street" and it was very good. I had Ravioli stuffed with Ricotta, mmmm….it was good.

The Fashion Show was good, T and J were in it, however I thought it was a little long. I thought that maybe they could have done anyway with showing the Prom Gowns after all we had the Prom last night and most of us saw them there. 

Afterwards we all rushed out to watch the end of the Red Sox and Yankee’s baseball game.

Friday October 22nd

In the afternoon I went to a seminar given Helen Boyd, the author of "My Husband Betty" on writing which also was very good and I hope on applying so of the techniques that I learned here. She had us do an exercise where she asked us to think about something that we liked with the Fantasia Fair or Provincetown, then write down an adjective and then another adjective. Finally a short descriptive word or phrase and then put it all together into a sentence or paragraph. This is what I wrote; "The darken Cabrera with its spots lights shining on the stage, I could almost picture the smoke filled room from the past with the likes of Eugene O'Neill and Tennessee Williams upon the very stage performing their plays for the very first time."


2022 Fantasia Fair (Trans Week)

No comments:

Post a Comment