Sunday, October 23, 2022

Fantasia Fair Day 7 - Saturday

Today is the last day of Fantasia Fair and last night was the Banquet, I debated whether I would go to the banquet or not. It was past my bedtime and for me driving at night is now a challenge, so I left during the awards.

But first lunch.

I had lunch at the Crown and Anchor and they had pasta and shrimp a buffet. One thing that I noticed was that they were loading up their plates with the shrimp and taking very little pasta. Another thing that I noticed was that it was very spicy, not overboard but borderline spicy. 

I was thinking about going to the Town Hall Meeting: Community Responses to Anti-Trans Legislation and Policies workshop but I decided if I want to attend the banquet that I need to nap this afternoon.

At the Banquet looking around you can tell the crossdressers from those who have transitioned… just look at their footwear. It is a generality but it seems like most of those in stilettos 3” heels and above are crossdressers and those in flats have transitioned, you see some of the spouses are wearing stilettos but most are wearing sensible heels.

Me? I wore sneakers with a dress and a sweater And pantyhose! ...good lord it has been years since I wore pantyhose. COVID (or as I like to say "the plague") put a crimp in banquets and semi formal events. But there is an in-person meeting of the Governor's Advisory Council meeting in November so that will be business professional dress).

My guest left for Connecticut Friday morning with sniffs, a cough, and a runny nose (I got my fingers crossed) and I’m heading back to Connecticut on the 6th or 7th to vote and then back up here the following week until Thanksgiving.

~~~~~~~~

So at the beginning of the Fair I said over the years that the Fair has changed and I think one of the things that has changed over the years is that the fair is more concentrated. Workshops were held at several restaurants around town, for an example a workshop was held at Nappies and a night club called Vixens, so you had to walk around more in town. 

One other change is where the banquet is held, it used to be held at different restaurants around town including the Provincetown Inn. They were all good except one restaurant, they had use packed in like sardines. They overstated the size of the banquet they could have, one positive for the place had a fire pit where you could escape the mob. I imagine having it in one or two places saves money, they probably get a discount for holding all the workshops in one building, same for having it at one restaurant. 

Another thing that has changed is they had dune tours, whale watching excursions, and they had a trip to a winery.

Then there are the type of workshops, there were more variety, now over half of the workshops are for couples. Back then they had a transition track where there were workshops on transitioning. Maybe they fear chasing away the spouses with too many workshops on transitioning. They had workshops on wig care and styling, and makeup, they had a few this year but not as many in the past. In addition I saw that they had a workshop on Macramé, trans history in the movies, a workshop on activism (Town Hall Meeting: Community Responses to Anti-Trans Legislation and Policies), and a workshop on photography.

Also I have changed, the fair to me is more of a social event, meeting old friends and making new friends, but it is starting to get old. A lot of old friends have stop coming and the workshops are becoming old hat, what would keep me coming is stuff like dune tours, whale watching (But many of the whales have turned into snowbirds and headed toward warmer waters.), trans history workshops, and other workshops that are not trans related (Hmm... maybe a discussion of trans in science fiction.).

Lastly, there are more guys here, they are attracting more trans masculine fair goers.

P.S. When the fair started this year I couldn't walk far without getting winded, I noticed that I could walk father without getting winded by the end of the fair.

~~~~~~~~

From my 2000 diary.

Sunday October 22nd
All good thing must come to an end. We packed up, had breakfast, said our good-byes and headed back to Connecticut. I had an excellent time. Would I go back, YES!

***********************************************

October 28th
It has been six days since the Fantasia Fair. Some thoughts on the week, it was hard, well not hard but different, going back to work. I was walking down the hall at work when somebody called “Diana”, for one of our secretaries, I almost stopped and replied. Also, up in P’town I got use to carrying a pocketbook, now I start to look for it when I get up. It was total girl mode, the only male thing that I did was shave. You get deeper girl mode and it does effect your psyche. I liked it.


2022 Fantasia Fair (Trans Week)

No comments:

Post a Comment