Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Coming Out to the Boss

The spring course schedule for Uconn School of Social Work just came out and after looking through the catalog I decided on two courses that I want to take next semester. They are;

HUMAN BEHAVIOR IN THE SOCIAL ENVIRONMENT: MACRO THEORIES – BASC 360 – 2 credits
This course is one of two required courses on human behavior in the social environment. Both courses emphasize social work’s “person-and-environment” frame of reference although this course emphasizes the social and physical environment. Major themes stressed include theories and research about the interdependence of persons and their environments, both physical and social, political, economic, and cultural contexts, including values and ethical issues, in which our social welfare institutions function. Cultural and ethnic diversity, institutional prejudice, especially racism and sexism, issues of social, economic, and political justice, and the process of social change will be stressed. This course will also consider values and ethical issues relevant to macro social work.

NEW PERSPECTIVES ON LESBIANS AND GAY MEN
HBEL 370 - 3 credits
Examines the problems of America’s homosexual minority. Presents homophobia (fear of homosexuals or homosexuality) as a prejudice held by all people, gay and straight, in a society that holds that heterosexuality is the “normal” and “acceptable” behavior and attitude. Intended to expand students’ awareness of how homophobic attitudes affect them and their relationships with other people in both professional and non-professional settings.

Talking it over with HR, she (She knows and is VERY supportive.) thinks that it should be no problem getting reimbursed for the first course but for the second class we might have to talk to my boss. She thinks that he will approve the class but that I should tell him about my being Trans and I agreed, I think now is the time to tell him. I agreed not only because of the class but also because I might bump into someone from work while I am shopping or I might be in the news. So Tuesday is my big day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Di,
    Yes, you are ready to come out to your boss now! After speaking with you tonite there is no doubt in my mind. Just remember, you are a Woman named Diana now, and baby, You are In Charge!!!!! This is all new ground for them and you know your stuff!!!! You, have the upper hand!!!!
    Luvs,
    Deja

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is terrific. I hope it goes well for you! I am always amazed at your bravery and go-get-'em attitude. You should be very proud of all that you are doing!

    ReplyDelete