Monday, November 27, 2006

Postponing Telling My Boss

I decided to postpone telling my boss until I am ready to register for the classes. There is an Open House at Uconn on December 4th, so I will talk to the school admissions officers and find out what I need for registration in to the STEP program. To put it mildly my college grades weren’t that great, I was more interested in partying than studying (Translated – I was into drugs more than books, it took me six years to get my degree. Also there was a war on and the longer you stayed in school, the long you stayed out of Vietnam).

I know I will have to get a copy of my transcripts, also I will need three letters of recommendation and I will need to find out if I will need anything else. I also worry about (You know me, I am a worrier.) my spelling and grammar, is it up to Master’s standards, will I have to write a thesis?

I could go on and on with “What ifs” so with all those questions and the pressure of the up coming holidays I decided to put off telling my boss, that’s one less thing to think about right now.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, wait till January. There's already too much stress in December! :-)

    As for your worries about your writing....find someone you trust who writes well and ask them to proof your work. But I'll tell you (for free) that you write better than a lot of current college students.

    My brother was in college avoiding the draft in the early 70s, following the same course of study as you were, apparently. ;-) What a great reason to go to school....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there is anything wrong with postponing telling your boss. You have bigger and better things to focus on right now.

    There are many places that you could get assistance from while writing your thesis, or any other papers for that matter. I know there are several programs that could be of some help- I've been looking into that for my son, and these programs are not age speciifc- i.e. for teens and adults. Also, the English department may be able to find someone who could work with you on the grammar part.

    I agree with Cat, you do write much better than most college students. You have the passion behind the ideas, so that will translate well into your class work.

    It's so wonderful that you are doing this!

    ReplyDelete