Saturday, September 09, 2023

Sam's Saturday 9 "Cheeseburger in Paradise"


On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

From the archives; Repeated in memory of Jimmy Buffett, who died on September 1.

1) In this song, Jimmy Buffett briefly attempts a healthier diet, which included sunflower seeds, carrot juice, zucchini and bulgur wheat. Do you pay attention to your daily consumption of vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber, etc.?
Nope… I take a Vitamin D but that’s it. But I do need more water to flush my kidneys.

2) Jimmy sings that he'd like french fries with his burger. Do you prefer to dip your fries or drizzle the ketchup over them?
I’m a dipper!

3) Which cheese would make yours a cheeseburger in paradise: American, cheddar, Swiss, bleu, Muenster, or Monterrey Jack?
Yes. All but Swiss, Swiss cheese does not belong on a cheeseburger! On a Ruben yes… cheeseburger no.

4) Buffett fans call themselves Parrotheads. Concert attire for a well-dressed Parrothead often includes a Hawaiian shirt and a foam fin hat. What will you be wearing tonight?
Cutoffs, Hawaiian shirts, sandals (Flip flop hurt my toes), and a straw hat.

5) For someone with such an easygoing and laidback vibe, Jimmy is a very busy man. His business ventures include liquors, restaurants and hotels. He's also published eight books. All this in addition to making music! On a scale of 1 to 10 -- with 1 being lazy and 10 being highly motivated -- how would you rate yourself this morning?
Three or four. Hey I’m retired!

6) Jimmy has some very famous fans. Paul McCartney asked him to play at one of his parties, and Barack Obama invited him to perform at a fundraiser. If you could invite anyone -- anyone at all! -- to play at your party, who would you ask?
Hmm… I have to think this one over.
Still thinking...


7) Jimmy was born on Christmas Day. Does your birthday fall on a major holiday? If yes, do you mind "sharing" your special day?
Nope, it is just another…… Hold it! Wait a second. I just looked it up and it is Indigenous Peoples Day (AKA “Columbus Day”)

8) In 1978, the year this song was popular, the Susan B. Anthony Dollar was first minted. The initial design was not a hit with the public because vending machines could not accept it. What's the last thing you bought from a vending machine?
Um… Um… I don’t remember, it was so long ago.

9) Random question -- If today's your birthday, your zodiac sign is Virgo. When did you last check your horoscope?
Oh, that one is easy to answer, never. Or at least not in memory.
 


Life on a Sandbar

Chowdah

The world is a many splendid place with a cornucopia of foods but here in New England the Chowdah heads the list, they're divided into many different sub-cultures (I don’t want to even talk about Chowdah haters! Nor about Manhatten chowder lovers.)

Chowdah lovers are divided into…

Chowdah
|
New England – Rhode Island – Manhattan
|
Thick – Un-thicken

The purist believe Clam Chowdah is just, minced clams freshly steamed, potatoes, onions, and cream. While a few purist argue to include salt pork, not bacon.

One of the first known Clam Chowder recipes was from way back in the 1700s, according to A Brief History of Clam Chowder… “According to Savoring Gotham: A Food Lovers Companion to New York City, it is believed that the New England style of chowder was introduced to the region by French, Nova Scotian, or British settlers and became a common dish in the area by the 1700s.” (You can read my post about clam chowder here.)

Here on the Cape every place that sells food sells clam chowdah. Every restaurant has their own “secret recipe,” one place has chowdah so thick that the spoon stands up in it. Others have no thickeners at all. Some are load it up with “junk” like celery, dried thyme, garlic cloves, and even… red pepper flakes!

Me, I like New England but if they put a lot of thickeners like flour or corn starch in it throw my blood sugar way off otherwise I will have Rhode Island clam chowder which is New England Clam Chowder without the cream. I like clams (of course), onion, potato, salt pork, and cream. That’s it plan and simple.

8 comments:

  1. #4: With that outfit you'd probably fit right in at a Jimmy Buffett concert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1. I also have to take vitamin D. I take a few supplements. Loved your answers! Have a great weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one voted for Rhodesia Island chowder? I had it once, when my daughter was a student at URI. I liked it. These days I have to avoid New England chowder, it’s usually made with a flour-based roux and I have Celiac.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you songbird you gave me a good chuckle this morning.

      Delete
  4. I meant Rhode Island — stupid autocorrect

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a prescription for Vitamin D as my levels are consistently low. Love the Chowda info and poll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I take vitamin D. I live up in Northern Part of the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't stand flip-flops, either. I'm allergic to fish, so must pass on the chowder.

    ReplyDelete