Friday, September 08, 2023

I Know Nothing About Him.

But I like what he is saying, Rufus Wainwright came out in support of us.
Rufus Wainwright blasts ‘ferocious’ targeting of trans community: ‘It’s like a war now’
Award-winning singer-songwriter Rufus Wainwright has spoken out about the renewed “battle” for gay rights and how trans people are “under full attack” by right-wing legislation in the US.
Pink News
By Asyia Iftikhar
September 4, 2023


“Gay Messiah” hitmaker Wainwright – who came out as gay in the late 1980s – said that “although clearly there was a dark underbelly of homophobia brewing” in the early 2000s, as the LGBTQ+ community reeled from the impact of Section 28 and the AIDS crisis, matters have worsened in recent years.

Speaking to The Telegraph on Saturday (2 September), the Canadian-American artist continued: “I don’t know how things are in England but in America the battle is back on.

“There has been a dramatic swing back against gay rights. It’s pretty horrific.”
It seems like conservative governments are all the same, they need a bogeyman and we are it!
“The amount of legislation that is being passed,” he explained. “How the right-wing has glommed on to gay and trans people as a target is so ferocious … It’s like a war now. You have to fight for one side or the other, which is never good for anyone.

“But I’m a gay person with lots of trans friends and so I have to choose that side.”
It is amazing at how many trans people vote right-wing, they put their money ahead of our lives.

We cannot sit back and do nothing, the campaign needs volunteers (And donations) we don’t have to out ourselves. They need people to stuff envelopes, they need people to hold up signs, they need people to drive around the people who go door-to-door. They need people to give house parties!

So what have I done? Worked phone banks (Yuck I hated it!), held up signs near the voting location, and drove around the people who went door-to-door. Boy it was COLD! In the single digits and light snow. I had a route that I was take them on leave them off at the top of the street and pick them up at the end of the street, but because it was so cold I went and bought a “Box of Joe” from Dunkin. Oh they loved me for that! I was the only driver to do it for their crew.

I also attended a lot of fundraisers for candidates or PAC at people houses. I went to a fundraisers down in Fairfield county for GenderPAC. At the event there was the mayor from Stamford and the co-chairs of the legislative Judicial Committee. The mayor became Governor Malloy, the co-chairs I testified before them many times (I was addressed by one of them when I first testified “Hello Diana, it is nice to see you here today.). One of the co-chairs now sits on the CT Supreme Court and the other is a professor of criminal justice at a local college. At other house parties I met the Speaker of the House here in Connecticut and other legislators.
 
And you get to do neat things, like attend a bill signing (The birth certificate law)
Helping out…
  • Shows that the trans people care for the work a candidate does for the community.
  • Supports the candidate.
  • It was fun and I met the candidates and you never know where it will lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment