Saturday, September 02, 2023

Saturday 9: Workin' for a Livin'

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Huey begins the song by telling us some workdays feel like they will never end. How was last week for you? Did it drag or did it fly by?
It dragged by and then the end of the week zipped by in an instant. I had company at the cottage from Friday to Monday, they left Monday late morning and had a seven hour drive back to Philadelphia.

2) He sings that his car payment is due. Think about your personal finances. Do you pay most of your bills manually or do you more often take advantage of automated bill pay?
Almost all of my bill I pay automatically, except for my credit cards. I want to look at the charges first and then pay online.

3) Huey Lewis achieved a perfect score on the math portion of the SAT. Did you take SATs and/or ACTs? Were your results anything to brag about? (If they were, go ahead and let us know!)
Let put it simply No.

4) In his role as District Attorney for Essex County, MA, Huey's grandfather Hugh Cregg prosecuted high-profile murder cases. Do you enjoy watching or reading courtroom dramas?
Nope!
However, I did attend a trail once back in the late seventies. Do you want to hear the story?
Back in 1974 there was a robbery at a bakery where seven people were murdered. They were murdered by Ronald F. "Tiny" Piskorski and Gary Schrager.

Tiny was in school with me, he was in my class in elementary school, when I was in ninth, he was in eighth grade, when I was tenth he was eighth, when I was eleventh he was… well you get the idea.

Rummer has it the bakery was a bookie joint. Anyhow, they weren’t too smart, while they were robbing the place in walks a relative of one of them. One thing you don’t want is any witnesses when you are robbing a mob joint (Like I said they were not too bright, Tiny once worked as a bear wrestler.)

So when their trial came up, I went with a friend to it. Very interesting the way the traced the ammunition, to the gun, to the defendants. The person who gave the guns to them sang like a canary, they gave him a choice testify or we will try you as a co-defendant.

5) Huey no longer performs because he has an inner-ear disorder that prevents him from holding a vocal pitch. Of your five senses -- hearing, sight, smell, touch and taste -- which is the strongest?
Well I’m blind as a bat without my glasses. My hearing is still pretty good, smell isn't bad either, touch is okay but I think taste is my best sense. At least my waistline agrees.

6) He is a fan of fly fishing. Did you do any fishing this summer?
Nope, I haven’t done that in over thirty years.

Since this Monday is Labor Day, the holiday established to celebrate the American worker …

7) Approx. 10% of Americans are self employed. Have you ever been your own boss?
Nope, I always worked for someone. But I was a boss with 21 technicians working under me.
 
8) According to Monster.com, 50% of workers have left a job to get away from a boss. Are you one of the 50%?
Nope, I left the company to follow my boss. He went to work for another company and I gave him my resume, I worked there for 28 years.

9) Farmers feel the impact of extreme weather events. Have you ever had a job that required you to be outdoors most of the time?

Nope, I always had a desk job. I was a desk jockey.



The company from last weekend left on Monday and it is getting very quite around here on the Cape as school starts. This morning is a sweater weather.

6 comments:

  1. That trial sounds interesting. Stupid crim8bals are always entertaining

    ReplyDelete
  2. #4 is quite a tale--thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Desk jockey." I like that term. Me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most criminals are not smart. Just smart enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing the Sat or any other test is never going to measure, is Creativity, which is the better half of innovative Design. It's mad to put every kid through that.

    ReplyDelete