Saturday, May 25, 2024

Saturday 9: God Bless America

Saturday 9: God Bless America
On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
I apologized for last week, I am at the Cape and some friends stopped by and got me sidetracked.
 

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle.
This week's Saturday 9 is from the archives.


1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. Originally called Decoration Day, this is when memorials, as well as the graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers on this day to show our appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood?
Well not in my neighborhood but it town there are a number of them. However we have one of the first Civil War memorials in the nation.

2) Andrew Johnson, our 17th President, was in office the first time Memorial/Decoration Day was celebrated. Have you ever met one of our Presidents?
No but… I have met two governors, a CT Supreme Court justice, both senators from CT, and a hand full of legislators. Oh and I’m on an advisory council for the governor.
Me at a press conference with both US Senators, and state legislators

I'm off in the upper right... at the signing a bill I helped pass.

3) According to the AAA, more than 30 million Americans will hit the road this weekend and drive more than 50 miles. Will you be traveling far from home this weekend?
Nope, it is actually the reverse. I’m coming home for the week.

4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food?
I hate to name just one, it will make the other “sides” feel left out. So it is a tossup… bake beans, potato salad, and Mac & Cheese.

5) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on?
Nope, it is beautiful day at the Cape, sunny, low humidity, no wind, and around 70F.

6) Though she's belting out one of America's best loved patriotic songs, Deanna Durbin was born in Canada. Is there anyone in your family or circle of friends who wasn't born in the USA?
Yes, he was born in Canada and I believe he just became a U.S. citizen.

7) No longer a household name, Ms. Durbin was once one of the biggest stars in the country. One of her most popular films was 1937's One Hundred Men and a Girl, which was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. Recommend a movie that you really like, but don't think many Saturday 9ers have seen.
Well, er, ah… um… I don’t watch that many movies how about one where the movie LA Film Festival’s LA Muse Award winner in 2017, “And Then There Was Eve.” I have to admit a little bias, I know the co-star.



8) Back in 1938, Deanna Durbin had her handprints cemented in front of the TCL Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd. Have you ever visited that Los Angeles tourist attraction?
Nope, I’ve never been to LA.

9) Random question: What food did you hate as a child, but enjoy now?
Chopped liver…. No, no, I’m just kidding.
I am a very picky eater and I don’t think that my tastes have changed that much, what I hated as kid I still hate.
I amend my post after reading Songbird's answer... Peas! But in the defense of the lowly pea back then they were not frozen or fresh peas, they were canned peas which were like mush. So I still stand by my answer, the food has changed for the better from being canned.


Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

7 comments:

  1. I used to like some kind of liver thing but no longer eat it. Braunshauger or something like that? I haven't seen it in the stores in a while, but then, I haven't been looking for it. I used to like it on crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like chicken livers. Canned peas and lima beans are just nasty! We get frozen when we want peas. Still don't like lima beans or Okra. Nice that you helped get a bill passed! What do you mean when you say the Cape. Is that the cottage you talk about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ewwww, my mom used to make liver and onions and I am not even sure I ever tried it. It smelled so gross. I still do not eat it. Loved your answers! Have a Happy Memorial Day! ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Canned peas, the bane of our existence. 😄

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had mac & cheese at a picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your picnic sides--all very good choices! I went with the humble potato chip (just plain chips for me).

    ReplyDelete