Saturday, June 15, 2024

Saturday 9: Wait Till You See Him

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
This weekend I have “men-in-tool-belts” at my house painting the trim on the cottage, it is a “typical Cape cottage” cedar shingles that have aged to the grey color and I have the classic white trim.


Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: Wait Till You See Him (1967)

 

This song was chosen in honor of Father's Day. Hear it here.

1) This is Nancy Sinatra's celebration of her father, Frank. She singles out the sound of his laugh as something special. Do you know anyone who has a great laugh?
Not really, most people don’t laugh in public.

2) Frank Sinatra recorded this song himself a decade earlier. It was one of more then 1,400 recordings he made over his career. When you think of him, what song comes to mind?
Well actually no songs come to mind instead when I think of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Peter Lawford, and Joey Bishop… the Rat Pack.

3) Nancy always called her famous father "Daddy," while her younger sister Tina referred to him as "Pop." How did/do you call your father?
“Dad” only two people in the world called him that.

4) Nancy went on to have two daughters of her own. The girls recall that their grandfather was loving and supportive, even when they went through a punk rock phase with spiky hair, lots of leather, and studs. Frank defended their extreme choices as a healthy means of self-expression. Did you have arguments with your parents over your clothes or hair? If you're a parent yourself, have you always approved of your kids' fashion choices?
HA! Are you kidding? I grew up in the sixties and early seventies… I was a hippy!

5) Back when our own Crazy Sam was in high school, her father gave her driving lessons. What grade would you give your driving today?
A+
Okay, here is a story on my driving test… I bet you all will be envious.
Nervous as heck, I go in the DMV and this big guy was going to witness my driving on a test drive. I passed the written test, the eye test, and now the driving test. We go to the car and it is a freaking blizzard. I start the car, clean off the snow from the whole car, the car is heating up and the ice on the windows is starting to melt. OK time to do the driving test, windshield wipers beating out a song…
On a long and lonesome highway
East of Omaha
You can listen to the engine
Moanin' out his one note song
You can think about the woman...
The DMV officer said take a left as I leave the parking lot, I drive about a half a mile and he says turn around you passed. No “K” turns, no traffic lights, not stop signs… just turn around you passed and we haven’t even gotten out of sight of the DMV building. I was the last driver tested that day, so if you ever have to take a driving test hope for a blizzard.

6) For family barbecues, Sam's dad dons his "Kiss the Chef" apron and mans the Weber. What's the last thing you grilled?
Oh… oh… last night. At the grocery store they had a sale on marinated sirloin tips on skewers that I did on the grill, they were very good. They are on my "Buy again" list.

7) Because he takes his grilling so seriously, Sam once invested in a pair of forged steel tongs for Father's Day. Does anyone on your gift list have a passion that makes them easy to shop for?
There is no one on my gift list. My father passed away in 2006, six days before his 95 birthday.

8) Traditionally the most popular Father's Day gift have been ties, wallets and belts. However experiences -- like tickets to a concert or a sporting event -- are gaining in popularity. Which would you prefer to receive: something to own and hold or an experience to remember?
Tickets for South Pacific. The musical is playing at Goodspeed Opera House (Updated 10 AM).

9) Random question: Have you recently mistakenly called someone by the wrong name?
Ha, ha… all the time. I am face blind, I usually can tell who they are but when it is not in a familiar setting I have a hard time recognizing people. One time standing in line at a bank I didn’t recognize my classmate… boy was she mad!

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

5 comments:

  1. You had an interesting driving test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear people laughing in public all the time -- me included.
    I hope you get that, when you get those tickets to your island paradise, you bring your camera and post lots of pictures so we can enjoy it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess you lucked out on your driving test! Your dad lived a long time. Some classmates look the same and other no so much. I noticed this at my 50th class reunion. What was sadder was the posterboards of those that had passed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turn the Page has been my earworm for the week, so it was weird seeing it turn up on your page!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you read my entry today about MY driver's test.

    ReplyDelete