Thursday, June 29, 2023

I Am Lucky.

In a way I won a lottery last weekend I went to a family gathering, I haven’t seen my cousin’s wife’s family in 26 years when they were married. The occasion was the graduation of their daughter.

Well first off… “I know the way and I don’t need the GPS!” well after a half hour of driving around on back country roads I gave up and entered it the GPS.

I transitioned in 2007 and they were married three years earlier. So I met the in-laws for the first time since the wedding and the most intrusive question was “Are you _____ cousin?” Then we all got down to “Are you retired now?” it turned out that the cousin’s mother is the same age as me and we talked about how to say active in retirement. We also discussed how my cousins are showing their age.

There were also classmates of my cousin’s daughter there, they just looked up and went back to their conversation.

So I guess what I am saying is that it was just your typical family gathering.

I have heard so many horor stories that I realize that I am blessed with a supportive extended family.

***

Last thoughts… children learn many values as they grow up, a lot of those values are learned from their parents and other family members. A loving affirming family passes those values on to their children. While children of white supremacists pass those values on. Which family values do you want to leave to your children?




"South Pacific" soundtrack

You've got to be taught
To hate and fear,
You've got to be taught
From year to year,
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught.
You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
You've got to be carefully taught.
You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You've got to be carefully taught!

No comments:

Post a Comment