Saturday, March 18, 2023

Saturday 9: The Rocky Road to Dublin

Sam's Saturday 9: The Rocky Road to Dublin (2008)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about a young man who leaves home to seek his fortune. How old were you when you first moved out on your own?

I was old. The year that I graduated from college my father retired and my parents started to travel so I took care of their house while they were away.

Update P.S. My brother and sister-in-law didn't male my college graduation, but they had a good excuse... my sister-in-law went in to labor. It makes it easy to remember my nieces age... 1974.

2) He leaps onto a ship but the captain makes him sleep in the hold with pigs. Have you ever taken a cruise? (If so, we hope you had better accommodations.)

Nope.

3) This recording of the song is by The High Kings. Well established in Ireland, their career reached new heights in March 2012. Right after playing for the Lord Mayor of London's St. Patrick's Day celebration, they flew to Washington to perform for President Obama at the White House St. Patrick's Day concert. Tell us about a time when you were so happy, you had to pinch yourself to make sure you weren't dreaming.

The time that I won the billion dollar lottery... oh wait I was dreaming!

I think it was when I graduated from grad school with my MSW. I wished that my parents were still alive to see me getting my diploma then.

4) This song was chosen because Friday was St. Patrick's Day. Do you celebrate this holiday?

Nope, as far as I am concerned besdes corned beef and cabbage the day is know for drinking beer.

5) Leprechauns are a symbol of St. Patrick's Day. These small Irish fairies are said to live in the forest, guarding their gold. Do you often wear gold?

Only for special occasions.

6) McDonald's has made Shamrock Shakes a St. Patrick's Day tradition. McDonald's began adding the drive-thru window to their restaurants in the 1970s. Would you rather order from the restaurant counter or the drive-thru?

Yes. Well it depends, is it raining? Is there a big line at the drive-thru? Do I want to get out of the car and stretch my legs?

Many time I drive in to the coffee shop and the drive-thru window line snakes all the way around the building, I park and go in to order and I’m out before a car or two went through the drive-thru line.

7) A four-leaf clover is considered good luck. Do you have a lucky charm?

Nope, I don’t believe in luck charms.

I could hunt all day for a four-leaf clover and not find any. My mother walks out and find three right way. It used to drive me nuts! How did she do it?

8) Thinking of Lucky Charms, they are magically delicious. What breakfast cereal is in your kitchen right now?

Cold cereal: Granola and Cheerios. Hot cereal: Oatmeal, and Cream of Wheat.

9) Random question: Think of your upcoming week. Which day will be the busiest?

I have one zoom meeting for the week.

8 comments:

  1. I love your answer to #6 because I've noticed the same thing! So many drivers would rather sit and stew in line at the drive-thru, rather than park, zip in and zip out. I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #7...isn't that funny how some people can find 4 leaf clovers right away? I am like you and could look all day and not find one. I have known those people who can find them easy though. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve never found a four leaf clover

    ReplyDelete
  4. #8--I could never get into Cream of Wheat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had an uncle who was just like your mom when it came to 4-leaf clovers. I could lay on my belly with a magnifying glass searching (which I did more than once) and never find one. My granddaughter may have the gene. Two summers ago she was sitting in her stroller while her mom and I talked when she bent over and picked a large 4-leaf clover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to be one of those people who found 4-leaf clovers. But that superpower seems to have deserted me. Or maybe I simply stopped looking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think we appreciate our parents until they have passed. I got married in 1974. My mom used to make me Cream of Wheat. My husband likes to mix thm when he cooks them. I had that same lottery dream! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. #3 is a riot! lol And there are so many Zoom meetings! My mom could also find four leaf clover like.... magically. She was a sweet person on the whole, and I think it was the calm of her mind...

    ReplyDelete