Saturday, August 01, 2026

Saturday 9!

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun… 
 

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

This month Saturday 9 will be tasty, featuring songs with food in the title.
 
1) This song is about a woman who complains of a belly ache. How's your tummy this morning?
My stomach is doing very good right now, knock on wood. (But my back is a different story.)

2) She responds to this malady by calling the doctor. What if you chose to address the problem yourself? Are there currently any OTC digestive aids in your medicine chest? 
An old bottle of anti-acid. What is interesting is as I brought my blood sugar down I needed them a lot less. Now I haven’t taken any in years.

3) Coconut was once a popular ice cream flavor, but no more. It's not on the list of top sellers at Baskin Robbins or Cold Stone. When you last had ice cream, what flavor was it?
I’m hooked on chocolate milkshakes.  Calcium. My Calcium was low and the doc said take more Calcium so I drink milkshakes. So far my Calcium is around normal for my age.

4) Coconut remains popular in baking. It's easy to find recipes for coconut pie, coconut cheesecake, coconut cookies ... you get the idea. Have you recently tried a new recipe? If yes, how did it turn out?
No, haven’t cooked with  coconut.

5) This week's featured artist, Harry Nilsson, was a well known free spirit. He liked to party and had a reputation for not adhering to a schedule. Therefore it's a little surprising that one of his first jobs was in the conservative atmosphere of a small bank. Do you prefer a more structured workplace? 
Yes, I don't know how they can work at home. Work is also social. If I had to got to for something in purchasing, I stopped and chatted with the people in there. Now. It is just Zoom!

6) Harry met Micky Dolenz when The Monkees recorded his song, "Cuddly Toy" and they became fast and life-long friends. Can you think of someone you met and quickly "clicked" with?
Peter Tork used to live in Connecticut and he would pop in "open mics"
 
7) In 1971, when this song was on the radio, detective shows were popular on TV. Mannix, Ironside and Cannon were all in the Top 20. Do you think you'd make a good private investigator?
Naw, you have to be a people person. But I was investigated by a "Private Eye" once—it was so funny. I needed security clearance for a job at work.

Now, there was this car sitting at the end of the street. It looked like something Columbo might drive. There it was, parked in the grocery store parking lot. Down the street at my parents' house: the old, beat-up green car. Over at a friend's house... there it was down the street. This thing was that old beat up car stuck out in a middle class neighborhood.

Well, after 40 years, I guess I can tell you: we made security systems for nuke plants. Back at the start of the '90s, it was high-tech! It was so neat! We had a mockup of the system... it was right out of a James Bond movie.

8) England's Princess Anne turned 21 in 1971 and the occasion was commemorated with an official portrait taken by fashion photographer Norman Parkinson. Who took the most recent photo of you?
A friend at lunch last week. 

9) Random question: You can redecorate any one room in your home, money is no object. But only one room. Which room do you pick?
The kitchen. It is too small and while I'm a remodeling mood, a sun room that heats my bedroom during the day.
 

 
Today, I'm up in Vermont for the gathering of the tribe. A trans support group is having a cookout on a farm in southern Vermont for the weekend, and I came back from Cape Cod just for it. Last night, I made Pineapple and Shrimp Macaroni Salad, and today I'm also making Cream cheese roll-ups to bring up.

In the old days, I stayed overnight at a B&B, but they allowed one-night stays, whereas the new B&B requires a minimum of two nights. It's shooting themselves in the foot. There used to be five of us who stayed one night, and the B&B could easily fill the place for a night. But now, only one couple stays the two nights.

Around noon, I'm driving up in my car, and a friend is driving my car back so I won't have to face another four-hour drive after the four-hour drive down from the Cape yesterday.

1 comment: