Thursday, February 29, 2024

Last Night...

...last night I went to a vigil at the Capitol for Nex Benedict.

I want you to stop and think for a while about the event. I wrote about their murder here and all around the nation vigils were held for them, her brutal death at the hands of bullies.

Fox 61 reported,
Benedict’s death comes months after Oklahoma lawmakers passed a bill that required students to use the bathroom based on their gender assigned at birth.
By Jake Garcia
February 28, 2024


More than 100 members of Connecticut’s LGBTQIA+ community gathered inside the State Capitol Wednesday for a candlelight vigil to honor Nex Benedict.

The Governor assured members of the LGBTQIA+ community that they belong in Connecticut. “We're not going to be that bad village. We're going to be Connecticut; we're going to stand for each and every one of you. We love you for who you are,” said Lamont.
How many governor’s would have attended a vigil for her? He not only was there there were a number of other legislators there and the governor spoke about her death? Somehow I don’t think any Republicans would be at any vigils for them.

Here in Connecticut we have laws against bullying in schools and the state law requires the schools to report bullying incidents to the CT Department of Education each year. When I was on the Safe School Coalition run by the DoEd some districts reported zero incidents all year, we didn’t believe they reports, I believed the school systems were white washing the bullying to keep their districts from sounding bad… no news is good news!

There were a number of speakers last night and many of the speakers talked about bullying in schools
I have been avoiding driving at night but a friend offered to drive so that I could go. I saw a number of friends that I haven’t seen since I retired from Connecticut TransAdvocacy Coalition.

I snapped a few pictures during it but I used my cheap phone to take them and they are slightly out of focus.

P.S. Not all Fox outlets are conservative, Fox 61 has a trans producers.

No comments:

Post a Comment