Saturday, February 17, 2024

Sam's Saturday 9: Paper Doll

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!

Saturday 9: Paper Doll (1943)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The song is about a fellow who is exasperated by men flirting with his girl. Do you have a jealous streak?
Nope, I’m a realist, I rather walk away from a relationship.

2) He's blue after a quarrel with Sue. Did you exchange harsh words with anyone recently?
Nope. And never have and never will, I try to remain civil, life is too short to be mad at someone.

3) "Paper Doll" was #1 for 12 weeks in 1943-44, sold 11 million copies and remains one of the best-selling singles of all time. Had you heard it before today?
Nope, not my try of music.

4) As kids, the Mills Brothers worked on their harmonies in front of their father's Piqua, OH, barbershop, much to the delight of passers by. Do you often encounter street musicians in your neighborhood?
Naw, we are just a typical suburban town. Now up in Provincetown that is a different story. One street musician passed away, Ellie and the town missed her dearly, she used to play in front of the town hall.

5) The Mills Brothers were a long way from that street corner when, in 1936, they became the first African Americans to perform for the British Royal Family. It's about 4,000 miles from Piqua to London. What's the farthest you've ever been from home?
The west coast, we went out there for a cousin wedding and drove down the coast to San Francisco.

6) In the early 1930s, the Mills Brothers not only performed songs on radio, they sang jingles for Standard Oil and Crisco. What commercial can you recall having seen (or heard) lately?
Oh one they really gets my goat! That commercial about keeping the kids from being like their parents. I don’t know about me but I don’t see anything wrong about being like my parents, they raised me good.

7) In 1943, when "Paper Doll" was popular, WWII was raging and the US Mint began producing steel pennies because copper was needed for ammunition. Do you have any pennies in your pocket or wallet right now?
No, if I get any change back I usually leave it in the tip jar. (One time I emptied my pocketbook and saw all the change I was carting around so now I just out it in the tip jar.

8) Also in 1943, a bottle of Coke was a nickel. When did you most recently have a soft drink? What was it?
About a month ago… my blood sugar went through the roof.

9) Random question: Have you learned more from your successes, or your failures?
Both (How’s that for a diplomatic answer.) I think we learn from life.


Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

7 comments:

  1. I need to be leaving my change in a tip jar. I never use it. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I may never buy Progessive Insurance because those commercials are insulting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #7: Have you noticed fewer and fewer places have tip jars? Everything around me seems to be going digital.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Progressive commercials are so funny! I like the one about signs, Live Laugh Love, because that is me. I like stuff and my mom was a minimalist. So, I am not like her, more like my dad's mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you about the tip or change jar--although, I do keep quarters for laundry day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Progressive Commercials. I find them annoying, too. I mean, why NOT store your leftovers in old butter containers?

    ReplyDelete