Thursday, February 15, 2024

It’s A Shorty!

CT State Capitol*
I mean the legislative session that is because this is an even year the legislative session is a month shorter, crazy isn’t it?

I haven’t heard if any bills yet the either pro or anti LGBTQ+ yet. I think that the session will be mostly budget and only a few bill will get heard.

I search the CT legislative website for key words such as dysphoria, gender, library, athlete, orientation, and other key words. I use the advance search to filter out bill from other years. If there are any hits on bills I add them to legislative bill tracking list.

From the main legislative page take the link to “My Bills” and it is easy to create an account if you don’t have one. It is just an email account and a password, then whenever a change happens in one the bills you get notified.

So one of the bills that search for is on the banning of books, and from the grapevine word is that it is DOA.

But don’t lose hope, it was a long shot in a short session but it was worth trying. I like to point out that the gender inclusive bill took seven years to pass, from 2006 until 2011.

*****

*I took this picture when I was interning for my MSW at CT Women's Educational and Legal Fund (CWEALF), the photo is looking out my window at the YWCA in Hartford. One of my intern duties was to go to the Capitol every fay and get the mail and leave off flyers for the legislators.

This is a sample of the newsletter to the legislators.



No comments:

Post a Comment