Saturday, February 24, 2024

Saturday 9: Shambala

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song refers to the mythical kingdom of Shambala. Can you think of another song that mentions to faraway, mythical land?
Xanadu

2) "Shambala" is performed by Three Dog Night. The name is derived from an Aboriginal Australian legend. In the outback, hunters would sleep with a dog beside them. If it was very cold, they would sleep between two dogs. If it was freezing -- you guessed it -- it was a three dog night. Was it cold last night where you are?
No, it was above freezing. We have a heat wave coming this week, it might even be in the sixties, right now we have the third warmest February in history.

3) The lead singer is the late Cory Wells. Early in his career he was a member of the house band at the famous Sunset Strip nightclub Whiskey-A-Go-Go. Cory was a bit of an anomaly at "The Whiskey" because of his sober lifestyle. When did you most recently enjoy an adult beverage?
I can’t remember, it was over a month ago.
But I did have hot chocolate milk and cookie (Farm made Almond butter Crunch) last night before bed.

4) Bandmate Danny Hutton auditioned to be a member of The Monkees TV show. He didn't get the part. While he was a talented singer-songwriter, NBC was looking for musicians who could also act. Have you ever fantasized about a career as a performer?
Nope.
I was in a commercial once for a non-profit and I kept flubbing my word. Notice I said word not words, do you know how many ways you can say “Because”?
I know you are wondering I meant. Well the ad was for the Hartford Gay and Lesbian Health Collective, the ad had me and others saying “Because” and then the ad shown what they did. So after I said “because” an announcer said because of the dental office.

5) Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys was an early supporter of Three Dog Night's. What's your favorite Beach Boys song?
It is a three way tie: California Girls, Little Deuce Coupe, and Good Vibrations. How can you pick just one?

6) In 1973, when this song was popular, one of the best-selling toys Curious George plush doll packaged with a Curious George book. Can you recall a favorite book from your childhood?
Oh… that was 70 years ago!

7) The Exorcist was in theaters, terrifying audiences. It's still ranked among the scariest movies of all time. Have you seen it? Did it scare you?
Yeah, I saw it and I’m not a fan of horror movies, and no I wasn’t scared.

8) Roller skates were a big seller in 1973. While most rinks had skates available for rent, committed skaters had their own pair. Are you better on roller skates or ice skates?
Well I never roller skated but I have ice skated. We use to skate from Christmas break to late February. This year the pond never froze over… sad.

9) Random question -- Here's $100. What will you spend it on?
Well I just spent some on a new charger for my laptop. Probably the rest of it would be spent on the grocery store.

5 comments:

  1. I love to watch ice skating on TV. It's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a commercial? That makes you a professional …

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I never got paid for it, I volunteered my time for it.

      Delete
  3. You remember Beach Boys songs from 60 years ago but not books from 70 years ago. I find that interesting. Do you think your personal memory is finite, like my laptop's memory, and you only have 60 years of space? Or maybe you just weren't moved by any of the books you read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hear their music on oldie stations.

      Delete