Monday, December 11, 2017

A Lot Is Happening In Massachusetts

Besides the ballot initiative to take away public accommodation for us there is a trans woman running for office next November.

This will be a first if she wins,
Transgender Woman Runs For Massachusetts Congressional Seat
December 8, 2017
Heard on All Things Considered
NPR's Mary Louise Kelly talks to Alexandra Chandler. She's a transgender woman and a former intelligence analyst at the Pentagon. Now, she's running for Congress. She hopes to represent the 3rd district of Massachusetts in the House of Representatives.

MARY LOUISE KELLY, HOST: Last winter, I interviewed a woman named Alexandra Chandler. I'd wanted to talk to her for two reasons. One, she was one of the military's top intelligence analysts. And number two, while working at the Defense Department, she transitioned from living as a man to living as a woman. When we spoke, Chandler told me that ended up being a great career move.

ALEXANDRA CHANDLER: I became a leader, which I had never really been at work before. And I did a lot more good for the mission than I would have ever done otherwise. And I'll tell you why. When you can barely stand the sound of your own voice, where you can barely stand the sight of yourself, how can you properly go into a meeting and discuss the toughest problems out there and bring your best solutions to the table? You can't. So once that was dealt with, I was so much more effective.
[…]
KELLY: Events have kept moving, and the decision you have made now is to run for Congress.

CHANDLER: Yes, I have. So what happened was our home district member of Congress, Niki Tsongas, a wonderful representative from our district, suddenly announced her retirement. And I took no immediate notice of this insofar as for myself, I just saw that we lost a great representative. Then people started calling me. People had to ask me. People had to encourage me. It wasn't something that I saw myself immediately doing.

But then I realized that the fact that I spent years leading teams of analysts that could tackle the toughest problems on this planet - we're talking about stopping the proliferation of nuclear and missile technology from countries like North Korea. We're talking about arms smuggling to terrorist groups and in war zones. We could get it done with Americans of every background, every political persuasion. So if we can get the toughest problems done inside the intelligence community, then what I realized is I was the best in this political environment to actually get things done in Congress.
I wonder if she wins will the Republicans if they still control Congress be as petty as the Virginia Republicans to change the way they call the representatives, Congressman/Congresswoman or will they just use “Honorable?”

No comments:

Post a Comment