Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Some Deep Thinking

The primaries are over here in Connecticut, and I have some thinking to do. Lamont won—good! Luke Bronin won, too, but that one troubles me. I didn’t like him as mayor of Hartford. I don't know exactly why, but he just didn’t give me warm vibes when he was in office.

Who did I vote for in the primary? Jillian Gilchrist. Unfortunately, she received only 2,250 votes district-wide. Our paths actually crossed during the four years it took me to get my MSW. I interned at the Connecticut Women’s Education and Legal Fund in the Hartford YWCA building, and her NARAL office was just down the hall from mine. Based on her time as a state representative, I really liked her voting record (and yes, folks, I actually looked up their records).

I couldn’t find any voting information on Bronin because, as it turns out, he has never voted on a bill. Since he was a mayor, voting on legislation wasn't part of his job. Instead, I had to judge him on what he did for Hartford—like bringing the city out of debt through a deal with the state.

I agree that it was time for Larson to go, but like many politicians, he didn't see the handwriting on the wall. I would have much rather seen Larson announce his retirement instead of losing an election. Bronin is definitely not my first choice, but I will still vote for him this November.

3 comments:

  1. Richard Nelson8/12/26, 11:50 AM

    I disagree. I will not vote for Bronin. He is too connected to fascist billionaires who are in support of Trump. Well, now baby Bronin is the baby at the bottom of the heap. A freshman, a getting-to-know-you person. We just lost a person, John Larson, who could, if the democrats were able to take the House, be the head of a very powerful committee. Did you read about that? So now we lost again. There perhaps goes our SS checks. We lost to the ageists those who said, Larson is too old. One of Trump's missions was to get rid of John Larson. Well, Democrats, you just did his bidding for him. Sounds like a rhyme I heard about Germany. So all of those who voted for Bronin, guess what: you have aided and abetted the fascists, and you are to blame for whatever happens next. Every last one of you, the butcher, the baker, and the candlestick maker. They Thought They Were Free! There is another choice in November in my district, and I am going to take it. I will vote for Mary Sanders, who is running on the Green Party ticket. A long-time, real-deal activist who sees the shortcomings of anyone who aligns themselves with the fascists. As someone just said about Bronin, at last the district is turning red as in republican. Those are his true colors but white boy cluthching for power will tell you anything for a vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but…
      Right now children cannot get their medical treatment that they need.
      Right now I cannot get a passport.
      Right now in half the states, they do not recognize the gender on my birth certificate.
      Right now I can be arrested for going to the bathroom.
      Right now I am labeled a terrorist.
      Right now trans people are fleeing the country.
      This is now!
      Not what might happen.
      Some members of Congress have purposed: Criminalization of Youth Gender-Affirming Care (The Protect Children’s Innocence Act / H.R. 3492), and Medicaid Restrictions on Gender-Affirming Care
      We need to take control of Congress and impeach the bastard!

      Delete
    2. Richard Nelson8/12/26, 10:35 PM

      Yes, with Bronin at the bottom of the pig pile in D.C all of that will continue to happen. He will be a powerless freshman. I don't think that any of the things you mentioned are because of John Larson. We have lost a powerful anti-fascist voice, a strong supporter of Social Security, and the working class. Boy Bronin is aligned with the right-wing billionaires. So I will say it again: what happens next is what will be added to your list brought to you by young white men clutching for power and their democratic supporters. With them, the "ME" is stronger than the "US." They are not much more than useful idiots. Trump is clapping right now; another voice against him is silenced and silenced by their own people.

      Delete