Saturday 9: Animal Crackers in My Soup (1935)
On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
This month Saturday 9 will be tasty, featuring songs with food in the title.
On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
This month Saturday 9 will be tasty, featuring songs with food in the title.
1) Do you eat soup all year round, or do you consider it a seasonal dish?
Well… two things.
The first is that I’m on Cape Cod and we have “chowdah.”
The second is that I haven’t had soup in a long time… I went trough my cabinets and half of the soup had expired.
2) Gazpacho is a popular cold soup. Made with water-rich tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers, it's considered a good choice for hot weather because it's hydrating. What are your favorite summertime foods?
Well ah… it is really a year round favorite… lobster. In the summer it is lobster roll and in the winter it is lobster Newberg.
3) This week, Shirley Temple sings of the delights of having crackers in her soup. How often do you add crackers to your soup: always, sometimes, never?
Now with every order on the Cape you get oyster crackers which I toss in a big jar. When I get the munchies I split them open and put cream cheese on those little halves.
4) "Animal Crackers in My Soup" was the big musical number in the 1935 movie Curly Top. Shirley played Elizabeth, who helps her older sister find love with a handsome millionaire. Have you ever played matchmaker? If yes, were your efforts successful?
No, I haven’t tried being a match maker.
5) Gertrude Temple, Shirley's mother, was her daughter's onset hairstylist, creating the famous "curly top" with pin curls. What's your hair care regimen?
Well every time you talk about hair… you got to have hair before you can style it.
6) Bartenders are still called upon to create the non-alcoholic Shirley Temple, made with ginger ale, lemon-lime soda, and grenadine. What's the most recent alcoholic beverage you drank?
Whoa, another hard question. It has been so long ago that I can’t remember. Probably some sherry when I was making some Newberg.
7) In 1935, when this song was popular, Amelia Earhart flew from Honolulu to Oakland, California. Are you a nervous flyer?
Nope.
8) Also in 1935, The Hoover Dam was dedicated. Today it's a popular tourist attraction, with more than 7 million visitors each year. Have you ever been to Las Vegas?
Nope.
9) Random question: You get a spur-of-the-moment invitation to a meal with your best friend. Could you go wearing what you have on right now?
No… it is 2AM.
I woke up at around 1AM with voices! ????? they sound like right outside. I do a walk around inside the cottage listening. There are some men sitting out on a deck kitty-corner across the street. It is so quite that sound travels.
During the day you can’t hear the traffic on Rt. 6 (The very same Rt. 6 that ends in California, we have the beginning of it. Where Rt. 6 begin is the Atlantic Ocean. If you keep going east you will come to Spain.
It is like night and day on the Cape now that schools back in session. I was at the grocery store the other day when there was a traffic jam at the end of Aisle 3. Someone joked about not having to worry about traffic anymore now that’s summers over. I quipped… the end of the “no left turn season” which got a laugh.
I had company all last week and company for Labor Day, then I’m home for two weeks. Then back up to the Cape until around the end of October.
Well… two things.
The first is that I’m on Cape Cod and we have “chowdah.”
The second is that I haven’t had soup in a long time… I went trough my cabinets and half of the soup had expired.
2) Gazpacho is a popular cold soup. Made with water-rich tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers, it's considered a good choice for hot weather because it's hydrating. What are your favorite summertime foods?
Well ah… it is really a year round favorite… lobster. In the summer it is lobster roll and in the winter it is lobster Newberg.
3) This week, Shirley Temple sings of the delights of having crackers in her soup. How often do you add crackers to your soup: always, sometimes, never?
Now with every order on the Cape you get oyster crackers which I toss in a big jar. When I get the munchies I split them open and put cream cheese on those little halves.
4) "Animal Crackers in My Soup" was the big musical number in the 1935 movie Curly Top. Shirley played Elizabeth, who helps her older sister find love with a handsome millionaire. Have you ever played matchmaker? If yes, were your efforts successful?
No, I haven’t tried being a match maker.
5) Gertrude Temple, Shirley's mother, was her daughter's onset hairstylist, creating the famous "curly top" with pin curls. What's your hair care regimen?
Well every time you talk about hair… you got to have hair before you can style it.
6) Bartenders are still called upon to create the non-alcoholic Shirley Temple, made with ginger ale, lemon-lime soda, and grenadine. What's the most recent alcoholic beverage you drank?
Whoa, another hard question. It has been so long ago that I can’t remember. Probably some sherry when I was making some Newberg.
7) In 1935, when this song was popular, Amelia Earhart flew from Honolulu to Oakland, California. Are you a nervous flyer?
Nope.
8) Also in 1935, The Hoover Dam was dedicated. Today it's a popular tourist attraction, with more than 7 million visitors each year. Have you ever been to Las Vegas?
Nope.
9) Random question: You get a spur-of-the-moment invitation to a meal with your best friend. Could you go wearing what you have on right now?
No… it is 2AM.
I woke up at around 1AM with voices! ????? they sound like right outside. I do a walk around inside the cottage listening. There are some men sitting out on a deck kitty-corner across the street. It is so quite that sound travels.
During the day you can’t hear the traffic on Rt. 6 (The very same Rt. 6 that ends in California, we have the beginning of it. Where Rt. 6 begin is the Atlantic Ocean. If you keep going east you will come to Spain.
It is like night and day on the Cape now that schools back in session. I was at the grocery store the other day when there was a traffic jam at the end of Aisle 3. Someone joked about not having to worry about traffic anymore now that’s summers over. I quipped… the end of the “no left turn season” which got a laugh.
I had company all last week and company for Labor Day, then I’m home for two weeks. Then back up to the Cape until around the end of October.


Chowdah …yum.
ReplyDeleteBefore I developed fish allergies, I liked chowdah.
ReplyDelete