Sunday, October 15, 2023

Trans Week (AKA Fantasia Fair)

I have decided that I will not be attending this year’s fair and maybe no others Fan Fairs.

I have attended just about every year since 2000 and the fair has changed since I attended, back then there were a lot more variety in workshops. They had a lot more informative workshops that cover a variety workshop. They had back in 2006…
  • A Namoli Brennet concert.
  • A seminar given by Richard Docter Ph.D.
  • A seminar called “The Politics of Passing”
  • A seminar on Christine Jorgensen
  • A workshop For the Birds; Brenda Viola with a visit to the Mass Audubon Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary
  • A workshop “Inside Issues! Prostate Cancer in Transgender People”
  • A workshop “Transgenderism & Gender Diversity In America”
In 2011…
  • A Keynote address by Monica Helms
  • A dune tour
  • A Keynote “Beyond the Brain: Your Ideas About Motivations and Rewards”
  • A workshop “Enjoying Transgender Fiction”
Now… As I see it, the fair is mainly about couples.

I tried to give other workshops… on activism and one on photograph but they were only attended by two or three people. I suggested a workshop on trans seniors, getting seniors center to have programs for LGBTQ+ seniors but it got a lukewarm reception. So I’m giving up.

Another thing, most of the long time friends who used to come are not coming anymore. They are mostly strangers now.

When they get more variety and diversity in workshops I’ll be back. But it just seems like a rehash of the same ol', same ol' workshops for couples.

Don't get me wrong, Trans Week as it is now called is great for some who never went before or just coming out, but for a long time attendee the newness has worn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment