Saturday, October 07, 2023

Saturday 9: Gloria

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer questions, however, and here are today's questions!

Saturday 9: Gloria (1982)
On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer questions, however, and here are today's questions!

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, Laura Branigan is advising her friend to take it a bit slower in her pursuit of a particular man. Did you more recently give or receive advice?
Give.

2) Gloria seems determined to rush ahead, regardless of the consequences. Do you consider yourself a big risk taker?
Nope.
Now see when I read Gloria being from Connecticut the first thing that popped in to my head was hurricane Gloria in 1985.

3) Laura herself seemed to be impulsive in love. She met a lawyer at a party in 1978 and they married months later. It worked out, though. They were married for almost 20 years, until his death. Thinking of your circle of friends, has someone more recently been married, divorced, or widowed?
Nope.
It will be more like attending funerals than marriages. For me I’ll have wait until my great-grandnieces grow up.

4) "Gloria" was originally recorded in 1979 by Italian singer Umberto Tozzi. His version was a Top Ten hit in Switzerland, Belgium and Germany. Have you ever visited any of those countries?
Nope.
See the USA in my Chevrolet!

5) In 2018, decades after its initial release, this recording of "Gloria" enjoyed a surge in popularity. The St. Louis Blues used it as their victory song whenever they won a hockey game at home. What's the most recent sporting event you attended?
Ha!
That assumes that I have ever seen a sporting event.

6) After Laura Branigan died of a cerebral aneurysm at the age of 52, her high school established a scholarship in her honor. When did you most recently return to your old high school, and what was the reason?
I think the last time I set in my high school was when I graduated.
Now every time I go to the senior center I go to my elementary school. They converted the elementary school to senior housing and center… the irony is not lost on us.

7) In 1982, when this song was popular, the Sears catalog sold an at-home blood pressure monitor that ran on four C-batteries and sold for $190 (that's $600 in today's dollars). Amazon's current best-selling monitor is cheaper ($40) and smaller, running on AAA batteries. Is high blood pressure a concern of yours?
Yes.
Don’t you just love the one word answers?

8) Also in 1982, The Compleat Beatles, a two-hour documentary about The Fab Four was released to good reviews. Do you enjoy documentaries?
Kinda.
It depends on who.

9) Random question: Which of these chores to you enjoy the least: doing the dishes or the laundry?
The dishes and it is because the sink is so low by the time I am finished my back is killing me. So when I had the cottage kitchen redone I had them raised the counter up 6 inches and for the first time in my life my back doesn’t ache by the time I finish the dishes.
The laundry is super simple… get the clothes from the hamper, throw them in the washer add the detergent, go surf (Or read a book, watch the soaps) the web until “ding” and remove wet cloths and put them in the dryer and surf the web until “ding” and put them away. Repeat as necessary.

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

7 comments:

  1. I remember Hurricane Gloria. I was working in Manhattan and living in Brooklyn. Got to work that morning and the building was closed because of high winds, so I went home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard Nelson10/7/23, 11:12 AM

    I don't mind doing the dishes at all. I do not have a dishwasher and when I did I used it for storage of leftover containers. I don't use Palmolive and Madge the Manicurist never set foot in my house. The laundry, I don't mind at all, as you say just put them in, take them out, put them in the dryer. It is the folding that gets to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I have to go to the laundromat, I prefer laundry over dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Gloria….my office in Manhattan closed because of high winds

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on documentaries. The subject matter is important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was smart to get the counter raised in your cottage. You speak of your cottage often. Is it your vacation home?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it is a 3 season cottage out near the tip of Cape Cod

    ReplyDelete