Saturday, October 14, 2023

Saturday 9: Goodbye, Cruel World

Sam;s Saturday 9: Goodbye, Cruel World (1961)

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer questions, however, and here are today's questions!

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
Sorry about last and not responding to your posts but I had some friends stop by the cottage.

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) This week's song has a circus theme. Have you ever been to a circus? If yes, did you enjoy it?
Yes and yes, it has been a very long time ago, since I was knee high to a grasshopper.

2) James Darren sings that he's running away to join the circus. When you were a kid, did you ever run away from home?
I can’t remember that far back, I probably did.
(Update: Circuses have a bad connotation here in Connecticut, "The Hartford Circus Fire")
 
3) While he understands intellectually that this girl is no good for him, he tells us his heart is stubborn. Do you have a stubborn streak?
I don’t think so, I just stand my ground, I'm right you’re wrong.

4) Though he had three top 20 singles, including this one, James Darren found more consistent success as an actor. Between 1959 and 1963, he played surfer Jeff Matthews, aka "Moondoggie," in three Gidget movies. Have you seen any Gidget movies? What about the TV show, starring Sally Field?
I think I have seen them all.

5) "Moondoggie" got his unique nickname because he enjoyed surfing in the moonlight. Looking back on Summer 2023, did you visit the beach (by moonlight or otherwise)?
Well, er… um… the beach is right down the end of the street.

6) While he was playing Gidget's teen dream, he was a married man. He wed Danish beauty queen Evy Norlund in 1960. They met when she came to Los Angeles to pursue a career and they were both working at Columbia Studios. More than 60 years later, they're still together. Tell us about the longest-married couple you know.
My parents, 66 years! Until death did they part. But my brother and sister-in-law are creeping up on the record.

7) James Darren also played Officer James Corrigan on ABC's police drama, TJ Hooker. Have you ever considered a career in law enforcement?
Nope.

8) In 1961, when this song was on the radio, matching his & hers mohair sweaters were on trend. Do you have a favorite sweater?
I have one that my aunt knitted for me about 50 years ago. I still wear it working around the house.

9) Random question -- They say we're all young at heart. In what ways are you childlike?
A child depends upon others to get around, right now I limit my night time driving.


Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!
 

10 comments:

  1. A hand knit sweater, that’s so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard Nelson10/14/23, 11:38 AM

    #2. When I was about 10 I ran away from home and the bag I packed had all of my Sunday go to church ties in it. Not sure the meaning of that but it's like running away and taking all your ties with you. We lived in NYC at the time, and I got as far as Grand Central. After a short time hanging out in the waiting room the railroad police took me to their office and called home. My aunt came to pick me up slapping me every once in a while, on the way home not so much because I ran away but because the police were involved. Any kid who was involved with the police in those days was bad. #7. Ha ha ha. Never considered a career in law enforcement but I got hit upside my head and tear gassed by them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why a massive fire would put a damper on the concept of circuses!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You live by the beach?? Lucky you! And the cottage is in the country?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sold the NH cottage and I used my half to get a cottage on Cape Cod.

      Delete
  5. Wow, you have had that sweater from your aunt a long time! That is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The beach is right at the end of the road" is a statement that makes me so jealous! I would love to live near the ocean...and indulge in fresh seafood on a regular basis.
    I don't do a lot of nighttime driving myself. I limit myself to areas I'm familiar with. I simply can't judge distances in the dark these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one drawback, when you have company they all want seafood and you kind of get seafooded out.

      Delete
  7. Congrats for taking such good care of your clothes! I admire that.

    ReplyDelete