Monday, July 10, 2023

RIP Zoey

This just came out...
Pink News
By Asyia Iftikhar
July 10, 2023


The death of the acclaimed stage and screen star was announced on Sunday (9 July) by various sources including Time Out’s New York theatre critic Adam Feldman, the Shakespeare Theatre Company (STC) and Carlson’s Hamlet co-star Susan Hart – all of whom offered heartfelt tributes to the actor.

Carlson – whose cause of death is not yet known – enjoyed a rich acting career, becoming a Broadway legend in roles such as Marilyn in Taboo (2003-2004), Billy in Edward Albee’s The Goat, Or Who Is Sylvia and Lee Blessing in Thief River while onscreen he appeared in 2005’s Will Smith-led comedy Hitch.

The role that Carlson is best known for, however, is their groundbreaking transgender character Zoe in long-running ABC daytime soap All My Children, which ran from 1970-2011.

Carlson first appeared on the series in August 2006 as British rock star Zarf. Just months later, in November, he helped change the US media landscape by portraying daytime TV’s first recurring trans role after their character came out as trans woman, named Zoe.
I remember when when I first heard about the "All My Children" first came out I wrote...
Friday, March 16, 2007
On the TV Soap All My Children they have added a transgendered character, Zoe (Played by an actor), who is going through transition on the show. Last Friday they showed a scene from a support group that they did for the show and they used actual transgendered people, not actors for the segment. Two of the people that were part of the support group I have met; Betty Crowl and Jennifer Boylan. Betty’s wife is Helen Boyd the author of “My Husband Betty” and “She is not the Man I Married”. Jennifer Boylan is the author of “She is not There: a Life in Two Genders” and she has been on the Oprah Show twice and her book was one of Oprah’s picks. The TV film clip is a fairly good presentation of what goes on in a support group, it was unscripted and I think the clip is worth watching.


Zoe’s comment at the end of the clip was how I felt after my first support group meeting, that I was not alone. What Betty said about her wife “Getting it.” is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment