Friday, February 16, 2018

My Two Cents

[RANT]
We need gun control!

We cannot as a nation go on like this with mass killings every week, we need sensible gun control.

I am not against guns, I have used guns in the past. However, personally I don’t want to own a gun.

When I was a teenager I went squirrel hunting, we used to  go over a friend’s house and sit on the back porch to shoot woodchucks in his corn field (I don’t know how much wood a woodchuck can eat but they sure eat a lot of sweet corn). In college I took skeet shooting for one of my gym classes and I learned the difference between a pump shotgun and semi-automatic shotgun; the difference is when I used the pump I had a sore shoulder the next morning (on my final exam I shot 18 out of 25 clay pigeons).

So I am no stranger to guns.

I like the laws that Connecticut has and I think they should be national. In Connecticut…
  • There is no “Stand your ground” law, instead requires an individual to retreat when able to do so except inside your residence. We have the Castle Doctrine which means that you have no duty to retreat if you are in your home or on property owned by yourself.
  • We have a limit on the capacity of magazines (10 rounds).
  • We ban “military style assault rifles”
  • We ban the sale or possession of armor-piercing bullets
  • We require federal background checks on all gun purchases, both private, in shows, and dealers.
  • We require that an applicant must complete an approved safety course, background check and mental health records check prior to issuance of certificate for the purchase of a gun or ammunition.
  • We require guns to be taken away from people who have restraining orders for domestic violence against them.
In the current legislative session they are hearing bills on banning “Bump Stocks” and “Ghost Guns” and I hope that they pass.

What I would like to see added are,
  • A law requiring a gun owner to show their permit went asked by a law officer.
  • A law banning open carry
  • A law requiring the registration of guns
  • A law requiring gun owners to report lost or stolen guns 
I think these are sane laws that allow reasonable restricts on guns.
[/RANT]

2 comments:

  1. I disagree. We don't need gun control; we need to repeal the Second Amendment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Di. We also need to add that no one under 18 or maybe even 21 can buy a gun.

    ReplyDelete