Saturday, February 17, 2018

Violence

[RANT]
Have we become immune to the everyday violence we see? Have we become numb to it?

We are exposed to so much violence today, from video games, to television shows, to the movies, to the Middle East, and all the bombings and mass killings around the world.

From what I read in the news the common thread in all the killings at schools around the country and there are two things that stand out for me. The first thing is that they are all young white males. The second thing is that they all played violent video games.

I am not saying that everyone who plays video games is going to be a mass killer but it does make you think that in certain young individuals there could be a link there.

Other thing that makes me wonder about is all the violence in the movies and on television. Go and watch some old movies, the westerns, the mysteries and the crime dramas, do you see any blood and guts and gore? No. The bodies are covered with a sheet or there is no blood showing when a person got shot. Even without all the blood and guts they still manage to make a great movie. But now movies and television shows seems like they are competing with each on who can make the bloodiest, goriest, and blow-them-up movies.

Everyone said you got to watch “Wonder Woman” well I did and it is just like all the other super hero movies with violence is glorious living color. I imagine “Black Panther” is the same way.

For me, I’ll stick with Alfred Hitchcock with movies like “Dial M for Murder”, “Rear Window”, and classic suspense movie “North by Northwest.”


[/RANT]

1 comment:

  1. Agree with you Diana. After a while, I just get bored with the violence, blood and gore of modern films so switch off or swap channels. The last film I watched was “Rear Window” and was riveted to it, again. Its mundane surroundings only seem to heighten the suspense. I’ve lost count how many times I have seen it.

    Guns, mind altering substances, a culture of violence, white supremacy and male machismo make a deadly cocktail.

    ReplyDelete