Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Outreach at SCSU

I took a half day vacation from work so that I could do two Outreach panel discussions for a Human Sexuality classes at Southern Connecticut State University in New haven. There were five of us who were on the panel, a friend from COS, a FtM, another couple that I am friends with and myself. The panel discussions involved each of us telling our life stories followed by a question and answer session. We usually get asked some same questions each outreach; what bathroom do you use, how did you pick your name, are you gay and if you like women why change your gender. Then a host of other questions that I try to remember but I usually forget by the time the classes is over.
The class was amazed by the pictures the FtM passed around showing him before his transition, in his wedding dress and the four kids. They were also intrigued by the fact that he is still married to his husband and that the kids call him mom. In the first class it turned out there was another FtM who was taking the class and they knew each other through their Blogs. He also knew me because of a seminar I gave at the True Colors Conference a couple of years ago.
After the classes were over, my friend from COS, the couple and I went out to dinner at an Italian restaurant in Middletown.

1 comment:

  1. Being my first outreach experience, I am still basking in the good vibrations I received. Thank you for asking me to do it.

    ReplyDelete