Thursday, May 25, 2006

Small Town Politics

Now I might not be the world's smartest Trannie but I can count.
A friend was running to be on the Board of the one of the town's water district and he asked me to attend tonight’s meeting to vote for him. Well it was an eye opener.
When you entered they checked off your name on the voter registration for the district, there were a 163 names checked off. The first item of business was to increase the term for the commissioners from three to five years, the Chairperson asked for those in favor to raise their hands and then those against. As I said I not the brightest Trannie but I could see that the motion was defeated, so I was a little surprised when he said it passed. After a count of hands the motion was defeated 54 to 84. Hmm..........
Next on the agenda was the election for one of the commissioners, which was the position my friend was running for. There were three candidates for the position, the candidate who has been on the Board for eternity and the two new candidates including my friend. The vote was a hundred something for the old timer who spends most of the year down in Florida and not in town, the other candidate got seventy something and my friend got fifty something votes, I think you can see my confusion right away since they don’t allow absentee voting. It was better then President’s Bush’s “Hanging Chad”
The last items was to vote on the budget and it was the same dog and pony show all over again, the Chairperson saying that it passed and a count showed that it didn’t.
Then the Chairperson said “Oh well, I guess there is no new business, meeting adjourned.” Now being on two Boards of Directors I think I know a little about Robert and his rules to know you can’t adjourn a meeting without a motion and a second and then a vote.
So this little water district meeting was an eye opener for me in to the world of small town politics.






I will be up at the cottage the next four days trying to finish up the wiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment