Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Something Amazing Happened

Yesterday, I was at a local university for their Women’s Day celebration and I was at the Connecticut Trans Advocacy Coalition’s table, when this man pushing a woman in a wheelchair stopped at the table. The woman could only communicate through sign language, which the man interpreted. She asked me what our organization was about and I told her, I told her we advocate on behalf of the transgender community. She questioned what I meant and I told her the meaning of transgender and transsexual and that we were trying to pass an anti-discrimination bill. She asked why. I told her about the discrimination that the trans-community faces. She signed, “That’s horrible! Everyone should be treated equally.” We talked some more and then she asked if she could hug me. I got down on my knees and we hugged, what she couldn’t see was the tears running down my face. When we parted she signed, “Thank you.” and waved goodbye. I sat there for a couple of minutes drying my watery eyes, as I am doing now writing this.

1 comment:

  1. Be strong, Diane.. One day, people will understand this.
    Honestly, I don't have complete information about this transgenders so far. But I know that people can react in negative way by judging other people. I don't want to be a part of those people. I believe in equality and you deserve it too..

    Hugs
    Risma

    ReplyDelete