Friday, January 04, 2019

I Am Not A Fan Of Drag

It is not that I hate or I am against drag it is just that I don’t find it entertaining but there are some trans* people who hate drag and there some drag performers hate trans people.
DOES DRAG STILL HAVE A MISOGYNY PROBLEM?
"Remember how it felt when the straight boys in school would play act being a gay man - that is how I know a lot of women feel experiencing drag."
Star Observer
By Dean Arcuri
December 14, 2018

It’s an age-old feminist debate: is drag misogynistic? The answer is yes, it can be, if queens aren’t being respectful or supportive of the women they’re trying to emulate. Dean Arcuri reports.

From Shakespearean plays to underground nightclubs, the art form of drag has a long and colourful history.

As it continues to evolve and challenge narratives around gender expression and cultural differences today, it has forced us to face some hard truths about female impersonators as it steps further into mainstream culture.

All around the country there are competitions to discover the next up and coming drag star, which create new opportunities in cis gay spaces for predominantly cis gay men to put on a wig.

But are these baby queens actually celebrating an inherent bias towards women – or making a mockery of the glass ceiling women still have to fight to push through – without even realising it?

Cabaret diva Miz Ima Starr says problematic portrayals of women through drag are omnipresent.

“When I started doing drag 25 years ago, there wasn’t anyone I knew doing drag that wasn’t misogynistic, and it’s something we continue to see today” she says.

“I don’t think anyone’s setting out to be terrible to women through their performance. They’re just being thoughtless, and not being mindful that their performance isn’t actually about gender.
[…]
So how can queens celebrate the art form without tearing women down?

Menorah Foxx, who identifies as a drag queen despite being a biological woman, says misogyny continues to appear in drag because there are many who still see femininity as negative.

“If we want that to change, we need to encourage people starting out in drag to be inspired by women,” she says.
First I would like to point out that there are also drag kings are they misandry?

I don’t see drag queens in general as being misogynistic, there might be some who are but I think that most don’t hate women, I think they just like getting all glamoured up.

There are trans people who hate drag, there are trans people who think that the umbrella doesn’t cover drag performers, there are trans people who love drag, and there are trans people who have transitioned that started off doing drag and like any community it is diverse.

I think that if you look at the audience you will find that it is not all gay men and that straight men and women also who are enjoying the shows.

My problem is that I can see both sides of the argument and I realized that it is a thin tightrope that they walk on. I think that most drag performers realize that and are responsible but like any community it is diverse that there are those who do cross the line for whatever purpose.

*I use the word “trans” to include anyone who crosses the gender norms from drag kings/queens to post-ops. I believe in inclusion not exclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment