Saturday, January 19, 2019

Saturday 9: '65 Love Affair

Sam’s Saturday 9: '65 Love Affair (1977)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…



Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The first line of this song is, "I was a car hop." Car hops used to take orders and bring diners food to eat in their cars. Today, the drive through lane has pretty much replaced car hops. Think about the last time you went to a fast food restaurant. Did you order at the counter or at the drive through window?
Drive-thru
I beg to differ… they still have “car hops” at Sonic they still come out to your car to deliver your order.

2) Mr. Davis sings that his girlfriend was "bad with her pom-poms." Presumably she was a cheerleader. Share one of your school's cheers.
Ba Humbug!
That was my school cheer and still is.

3) The lyrics tell us he believes that if he could go back in time, his girl would still be his. If you could travel back in time to your high school years, what would you enjoy doing again? What would you do differently?
I loved science club and what would I do differently… study.

4) During his performing days, Paul Davis sported a full beard and flowing hair. We're using that to check your powers of observation and recollection. Think of the last man you spoke to. Who was he? Describe his hair, and tell us whether he was clean shaven.
Okay good timing on this.
I was at Home Depot looking for something and a guy came up to me and said “Hi _____” (my old name). It turned out he was one of my technicians and I haven’t seen him since 2007 when I was laid off.

Well I didn’t recognize him because thirteen years have passed, he grew a beard, and and his hair turned grey.

5) Paul Davis was born in Meridian, MS, and that's where he returned to when he went into semi-retirement in 1982. Meridian's biggest employer is the Naval Air Station in Meridian. Do you know anyone who is currently in, or employed by, the military?
Nope. Just about everyone that I know qualifies for senior citizen's discounts

When I was still working one of my technicians was in the Air National Guard

6) He was a pool player and a golfer. Which sport are you better at?
Competition reading.

7) Sadly, he died in 2008, on the day after his 60th birthday. His best friend remembers him as "a homebody," who enjoyed staying up long into the night with his friends, playing and listening to music. Describe your perfect way to spend an evening.
Well tomorrow we are supposed to have the trinity of precipitation… snow, sleet, and freezing rain so I will probably curled up in front of the woodstove reading.

8) The publishing rights to "'65 Love Affair," as well as Paul Davis' bigger hits ("Cool Night" and "I Go Crazy"), are owned by another Paul -- Paul McCartney. Sir Paul's MPL Publishing Company has made him a very rich man, and Paul says that's because he chose to invest in music, something he loves. What about you? If you were to invest in a business or industry you love, which would you choose?
A non-profit that works to fight discrimination in employment like they have for housing discrimination.

9) Random question --You're at a party and one of your host's best friends is a real egghead who tries to draw you into a conversation about paradigmatic counter existentialism. Would you: a) just listen politely while letting your mind wander; b) admit you don't know what the hell he's talking about; c) explain why you personally feel that the counter existential paradigm just adds unnecessary complexity to the individual's search for meaning?
I would go… Hun? And whip out my smartphone and google what the heck they were talking about (like I just did).

 Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!



This afternoon I will be at the CT Women’s March and Rally where I will be giving one of the speeches


My speech will be posted here a 3 PM.

8 comments:

  1. Knock 'em dead today at 1:00!

    Car hops certainly have "pretty much been" replaced. On the one hand, there's Sonic, which has only 3000 locations spread out over 45 states. On the other hand, there's Dunkin' Donuts, Burger King, Wendy's and McDonald's (which is not only in all 50 states and Puerto Rico, it's in 118 countries!). BTW, there are no Sonic locations within the Chicago city limits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curled up in front of the woodstove, sounds perfect.... we got our first snow over night...its cold today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great about your speech! Have fun!
    I agree about Sonic! I was thinking the same thing as I read that question. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to a Sonic. It's one I might try if I saw one. Also the chicken restaurant that advertises all the time (not KFC) that always looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your speech is great. Bravo. Curled up with a book sounds like heaven. I'm trying to do the taxes and failing miserably at it, obviously, or I wouldn't be commenting on blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Competitive reading! I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Curled up with a book sounds perfect, but if I tried it now I'd be fast asleep in moments and tomorrow I have to work again no matter what the weather is. So far the warm air moving up from the south has kept this storm from being much of anything. We were still having nothing but rain at 6:00, but it's gotten awfully windy in the last hour so I'm guessing the temperature is on its way down to that promised high of 14 degrees tomorrow. So yeah, fire and a book sounds lovely to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought about the Sonic thing too. I'd still go through the drive thru thoough.

    ReplyDelete