Wednesday, January 02, 2019

This And That In The News

These are a few of the news that caught my eye this week year.

An ally comes out…
Madonna turned up at Stonewall Inn and gave rousing speech to ring in 2019
Pink News
By Nick Duffy
1st January 2019

Madonna made a surprise appearance at New York City’s iconic Stonewall Inn on New Year’s Eve.

The original Queen of Pop made an appearance at the gay bar, which was made a National Monument by President Barack Obama in 2016 to recognise its role at the origin of the LGBT+ rights movement.

The packed crowd at the venue were stunned by the unannounced appearance, as Madonna delivered an emotional speech about LGBT+ equality.
[…]
She added: “Stonewall has become a critical turning point in history, catapulting LGBTQ rights into public conversation, and awakening gay activism. F**k yeah!”

As the clock ticked closer to midnight, the star described 2018 as a “b***h” of a year, adding: “Aren’t we happy to say, ‘goodbye b***h!'”
It was amazing that she did this on New Year’s Eve; she chose to be there at Stonewall.

My only criticism is a minor one and is the use of “gay activism” we have seen in the past where Stonewall was “whitewashed” and was portrayed as a “gay and lesbian” uprising and the blacks, Latinos,  and trans people were not giving credit for part in the uprising.



Unlike the U.S. the rest of NATO is trans inclusive…
Britain’s highest-ranking transgender soldier marries actor in dreamy Disney wedding
Pink News
By Josh Jackman
27th March 2018

Britain’s highest-ranking transgender soldier, Hannah Winterbourne, has married her long-term partner, actor Jake Graf, in a gorgeous Disney-themed wedding.

The pair tied the knot at Chelsea’s Town Hall in London.

Graf, 40, told PinkNews: “The ceremony was absolutely magical, held at the historic Chelsea Old Town Hall, with all of our closest family and friends present.
[…]
Winterbourne, 31, told The Sun that the day was “like a Disney movie”.

She added: “Growing up, I’d watch Disney films and there would always be a beautiful woman in a beautiful gown.

“You’d always look at feminine things and wish it could be you but I wasn’t able to express it.
Meanwhile here in the states we are heading for court to get our rights and the court has been stacked against us.



Lastly ageism, a topic close to my heart.
Gay scene ageism: If you dismiss older gay men, you’re the one missing out
OPINION: Topher Gen says ageism is rife on the gay scene and not enough is done to tackle it
Gay Star News
By Topher Gen
27 December 2018

[…]
‘Judging this man based purely on his age’I shrug off this comment and try to soothe his concerns off by assuring him that he has the same right as anyone else to be here. He goes on tell me that he’s new to the city and that, when younger, he never had the opportunity to do ‘this’ (clubbing.)

However, a moment later, the conversation stopped mid-sentence when a younger gay (whose face was so smoothed over he resembled a malnourished Ken doll) shot a disparaging glare over towards the man. The look said it all; he was judging this man based purely on his age.

This may be a snap assumption considering all he did was glare wordlessly, but I’m sure a lot of us have seen, or maybe even been victim of, ageist behavior at some point in a bar or club setting.

‘Ageism takes root in denial, in pretending that we’ll never get old’ I’ve only ever had a few negative comments made my age, but I’m not going to lie: it really grinds your ass/soul down.


I’ve had nights where I’ve felt about 8,000-years old after talking to someone who looks young enough to be my offspring. But I’ve also had periods of extreme burnout before my wisdom teeth had even come in. Therefore, I can’t imagine how hard some older men must feel in a scene environment, particularly one that’s populated by a horde of half-naked, bouncing twinks.


I’ve seen it so many times; judging glares from youthful gays at older gay men because they think it’s ‘weird’ or ‘creepy’ that they’re in the same bar.
Ageism is not only rampant in the “gay community” but also in the overall LGBT community. I have seen it rears its ugly head in the everywhere I look, maybe it is because of my age but I see it more and more. I was at a meeting to discuss the future of LGBT community and what I noticed it that the twenty-somethings always brought the conversation back to “schools” when someone brought up discrimination in senior living centers.

Another time in a trans support group I brought up how a friend’s amnesia after an illness where she forgot about her having gender confirming surgery which freaked her out and it also did me. I brought up my fears that as I get older will I forget that I’m trans? Well I got shot down royally, it was strongly conveyed that they were there to hear about transitioning and hormones not old trans people stuff. I never went back there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment