Sunday, November 26, 2017

The World Is Changing!


Last night was my fiftieth high school reunion and I was nervous as hell, I didn’t know what to expect. Would I be shunned? Would I be sitting all alone at a table?

So I was apprehensive to say the least when I walked in to the club house and signed in… well it started off on the right foot. I got a hug from the wife of the class president and from some of the other women classmates welcoming me. All the women there were very friendly and supportive and got lots of hugs. All the guys were accepting and a high school friend that I have been friends with ever since second grade was there with his wife; I have been to parties at their house since I transitioned. So I had friends that I could hang out with if it got bad but it never did.

There was a lot reminiscing… do you remember the time we burnt down the mountain? Do you remember the time we set off the purple smoke grenade on the Fourth of July morning by the pond and played Jimmy Hendrix’s Purple Haze?

They also had the class historian talk about the cars, the price of milk and gas, the hits on the radio, the movies from 1967.

I sat at one of the tables for dinner and was talking to the classmate sitting next to me. He asked if he could buy me a drink. Then as I was saying my goodbyes he asked me for a date! I told him sorry, but I date women. He must have build up his courage all night to ask me out… he looked so dejected. He looked like a lost puppy that I almost want to say yes to cheer him up.

I also noticed and other commented that the ones with canes were the football players. Also there were about twenty of my classmate out of a class of about 170, who are no longer with us and there were 67 classmates who attended last night's union.

Thanks Liz for the dresses but I ended up wearing my standard LBD.

So as usual all my worrying were for nothing. The world has changed, being trans is a non-issue.

I leave you with the hit movie and song from 1967.


To Sir With Love

2 comments:

  1. Was thinking about you last night. So happy to hear you had a good time and that the whole event went well. I knew it would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we shouldn't be so scared after all...

    ReplyDelete