Saturday, November 25, 2017

Saturday 9: The Man in Black



Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: The Man in Black (1971)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Black is this week's signature color because Friday, November 24, was "Black Friday," when retailers cut their prices and consumers flock to the stores. Did you score any "Black Friday" bargains?
Nope, and I will not score any “Cyber Monday” bargains either. But I might go to Small Business Saturday.

2) Among the biggest the Black Friday advertisers are Target, Kohl's, Macy's and Best Buy. If you could have a $100 gift card to any one of those stores, which would you choose?  What would you buy?
Hmm… I am really not looking for anything right now; maybe another 128GB USB drive.

3) Feasting and football are also popular Thanksgiving weekend pastimes. Do your Thursday-Sunday plans include pigging out or watching a game?
Pigged out. I am not interested in any sports so I read out in the living room.

4) Thanksgiving weekend is a major time for travel. How far did you venture from home for the holiday?
About 150 miles down to central New Jersey and the traffic was bad on Thanksgiving morning but come home today it was heavy in spots such as going over the Tappen Zee bridge in New York.

5) This week's song, "Man in Black," is about a singer who refuses to wear bright colors. What color are you wearing as you answer these questions?
Lavender PJ

6) Johnny Cash first performed this song at Nashville's Vanderbilt University. When were you last on a college campus? What brought you there?
I was at Eastern Connecticut State University to talk to a class last week.

7) The average American man wears a 10.5 size shoe, the average woman wears a 7.5. Johnny Cash wore a size 13. Are your shoes bigger or smaller than the national average?
Much, much bigger.

8) He preferred his coffee very strong. To make sure what he was drank was to his liking, he carried a jar of instant coffee with him and would ladle it into his cup in restaurants. What about you? What's your standard coffee order?
A large black decaf. One time the coffee shop was pushing “Turbo Shots” and I said “really in decaf?”

9) While in the air force, Cash wrote short stories under the pseudonym "Johnny Dollar." Make up a pen name for yourself.
The “Dyslexic Writer”
P.S. There was a radio show names “Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar
For over twelve years, from 1949 through 1962 (including a one year hiatus in 1954-1955), this series recounted the cases "the man with the action-packed expense account, America’s fabulous freelance insurance investigator, Johnny Dollar". Johnny was an accomplished 'padder' of his expense account. The name of the show derives from the fact that he closed each show by totaling his expense account, and signing it "End of report... Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar".

This evening I am going to my 50th high school reunion, wish me luck. No one knows that I transitioned.

6 comments:

  1. That is so cool about "Johnny Dollar." I wonder if Cash knew about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your class reunion is fun!

    I had to laugh at the turbo shot in decaf story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s what I’d buy at Best Buy, too!
    I don’t like to watch football much anymore, but on Thanksgiving the place where the dinner is held, always has it on. At least it wasn’t blasting away this year and we could talk.
    Turbo means super charged? Hahaha.. decaf would end up as, what, hot water?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your class reunion. I hope it goes okay for you.

    And yeah, turbo shots in decaf? WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nobody really seemed to be talking about the football games this year like in past years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck on the class reunion. I hope it is a good time for you. I've only been to one of mine and have no intentions of going to another. It's just not my thing.

    Interesting trivia on Johnny Dollar. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete