Friday, March 08, 2024

I Won't Back Down

But they did, a school district in Texas back down and will allow the play Laramie to go on, I wrote about it on Sunday but now they changed their minds.
Students had lobbied to continue the performance despite school leaders previously nixing "The Laramie Project" for another play.
WFAA
Rachel Snyder
March 6, 2024


The production of “The Laramie Project” will go on at Timber Creek High School in Keller ISD in May after all, a district spokesperson confirmed Wednesday.

“The Laramie Project” details a Wyoming town’s struggle with the murder of a gay 21-year-old. Roles were cast for the play in January, but school leaders said the week of Feb. 26 that the students would perform a different play. Students, including at a recent school board meeting, had lobbied to continue the production as scheduled.

“Keller ISD’s administration recognizes the time and effort that has been put into the adapted version of ‘The Laramie Project’ by students and staff members,” Keller ISD Superintendent Tracy Johnson said in an email Wednesday. “Upon further consideration of this, the administration has decided to proceed as previously planned with the May performance of ‘The Laramie Project.’”
This is good news the murder of Matthew Shepard in 1998 lead to the passing of Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act in 2009.



I’m home!

I have been up to my brother’s and sister-in-law’s condo in Maine all week as you read this I’m somewhere between here and there. I haven’t visited them there since BC… before COVID. It was nice to quality time plus I got to used my culinary skills to make Lobster Newberg for them.

The weather didn’t co-operate. I went from spring to winter and it rained everyday but it didn’t dampen my spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment