Friday, March 01, 2024

I Used To Do Websites

I bet that many of you never knew that, back at the turn of the century I only did two websites and they were both for friends.

The first was for two engineers where I worked, they had a side business (I guess that the younger generation calls it now a Side hustles ) in railroad videos, the other was a lingerie shop, Irene’s. Chrissy owned the shop that her mother started so she knew the business inside and out, she was also a very good friend of the community.

She used to open her stop after hours for the Connecticut Outreach Society to have a support group meeting there, we were like kids in a candy shop! She also used to attend the support group meeting to talk about clothing sizes and what to look for in a product.

When she wanted to create a website she asked me for help in making it. I made a site for her where you could order lingerie from her. It was quite a challenge, when I first talked to her about the site I said (I still remember it today) Open you web browser and her comment was “What is a web browser?” I knew that this was more than a website it was a training session on computers. In the end, I “print screen” every step to add and delete merchandise on the site and I created a notebook of the “print screens” with circles and arrows to step her way though it.

Since this was a hobby for me and I really didn’t want to get paid so we worked out a deal where I got lingerie instead of being paid.

Well she passed away last fall with her family by her side. She is dearly missed by her friends at COS.

***
In fairness Chrissy wasn’t the only store owner who used to show their wares at COS, John from Glamour Boutique in Auburn MA used to come down to talk about cloths.

I remember one story he told he was at a shoe conference and he was talking to sales person at the conference.
Salesperson for a shoe manufacturer: What can I help you with today?
John: I looking for shoe sized 11, 12, 13, and 14.
Salesperson: What do you want those sizes for?
John: I sell to crossdressers.
Salesperson: Oh… Um… we don’t sell to “Those kind of people!”
John: Well I was going to 200 or 300 pairs of assorted sizes.
Salesperson: Oh… Um… I think we can work something out.

He passed away around 10 years ago but I don’t know if the store is still there the latest I heard he left the store to an employee. I drove pass it this past fall and the sign was still up, but Google says "permanently closed."

No comments:

Post a Comment