Saturday, April 08, 2023

Saturday 9: Easter Parade

Sam’s Saturday 9: Easter Parade

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…

I am up at my Brother’s and Sister-in-law’s condo in Maine for Easter so I will not be able to reply to your posts.

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is best known from the 1948 movie of the same name, but it was originally written for a 1933 Broadway play called As Thousands Cheer. In the play, a young man reads about the parade in a New York  newspaper and decides to go and show his lady love off to parade goers. What's the most recent parade you attended?

Um… maybe 60 years. Since I was knee high to a grasshoppers. As you can tell I am not a big fan of parades. When I was little I loved watching the fire trucks go by and the marching bands, I was even on a float for scouting. We sat around a fake campfire with our tents cooking marhmellows over a fake fire.

2) On Broadway, the song was performed by Clifton Webb. He'd had a busy stage career, appearing in musicals as well as plays by Oscar Wilde and Noel Coward, but when he was in his mid-50s, he was considered too old to be a leading man. Broadway offers stopped coming. He was unexpectedly cast by Otto Preminger for the film noir Laura and a new career was born. He worked steadily in Hollywood for 20 years and earned three Oscar nominations. Tell us about a time you were grateful your life took an unanticipated turn.

I think most of you noticed that I got my MSW, so after a lifetime in engineering I got my social work degree.

3) Today he's fondly remembered by the students at UCLA who have benefited from The Clifton Webb Scholarship of the Arts. If you could give an endowment to a school or charity, what would you like it to be used for?

To educate women and minorities in STEM (Science Technology, Engineers, and Medicine)

4) According to Forbes magazine, the average American household will spend upwards of $150 on Easter dinner, candy, and decorations this weekend. Do holidays strain your budget?

Nope.

5) The biggest chocolate Easter egg was made in Italy, measured 34 feet tall and weighed a staggering 15,000 lbs. Do you think it's possible to have too much chocolate?

If it wasn’t for my diabetes I would say no, that you couldn’t have too much chocolate, but now...

6) After chocolate, the top-selling Easter candy is Peeps Marshmallow Chicks. They're so popular that they were once the subject of a Jeopardy clue. Do you often watch Jeopardy?

YES! I watch it almost every week night. I am up at my brother’s and I am have Jeopardy withdrawls.

7) Jelly beans are also popular this time of year. In a 2020 poll, jelly bean fans responded that cinnamon is their favorite flavor. Do you have a favorite?

Nope, I don’t like them they are all sugar.

8) We've been talking a lot about sweets this morning. The only holiday that generates more candy sales is Halloween. When do you eat more candy: Easter or Halloween?

Nope. I eat the same amount year round, in moderation.

9) Easter is considered the season of rebirth. What makes you feel refreshed or rejuvenated?

A nap after breakfast, a nap at lunch, I nap...

6 comments:

  1. If I’m not home I DVR jeopardy. It’s “must see” TV

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rode on a float! Cool! I marched with my Girl Scout troop and I helped build floats, but I never rode on one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. STEM learning is big in the schools now. I wish it were when I was younger. I loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naps are good. I'm all for STEM but I think we're losing something by not teaching the liberal arts, philosophy and such. People need to know how to think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me giggling over your naps! I wish you had photos of your float riding days. Would love to see. I bet it was so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. STEM is big in the schools around here these days, but I think it's great that you'd put a focus on women and minorities. They need more encouragement. I agree with Country Dew, as well. It seems we are more focused on teaching kids what to think than how to think for themselves and that's a real shame.
    I wish I could nap other than in the evening when it screws up my sleep for the night.

    ReplyDelete