Saturday, April 29, 2023

Saturday 9: Promises, Promises

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…


Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) In this week's song, Naked Eyes lead singer Pete Byrne admits he believed his girl's promises, right from the start, but now he knows he should have been more careful with his heart. Do you consider yourself more trusting or skeptical?
I am too trusting, and I get burned a lot.
 
2) He looks back on when he and his girl laughed like kids. When did you recently literally laugh out loud (opposed to keystroking LOL)?
It has been a very long time since I laughed, it would probably be good for me to laugh again but my health hasn’t been that good.

3) He accuses her of not being able to finish what she starts. How about you? Do you finish what you start, or can you think of projects that you're unlikely to ever complete?
I don’t have to think I can just look around the house.
 
4) Naked Eyes was a British New Wave band who had four Top 40 singles, including "Promises, Promises." They never toured 40 years ago because it was difficult to recreate their synthesizer-driven sound onstage. Is there a band or singer you would have liked to have seen perform live, but never did?
No, not really. In my twenties I went to a lot of concerts but now concerts are too much of a hassle, but I am thinking of going to Falcon Ridge this summer, I have to see how that works out.

5) While "Promises, Promises" is about an untrustworthy lover, Peter Byrne says he and bandmate/cowriter Rob Fisher worked well together because they knew they could trust one another professionally. By sharing honest assessments of creative ideas, they knew Naked Eyes would never put out "rubbish." If you want an honest opinion on something important, where do you turn?
Well it depends. It depends on the topic... technical advice would be a different person then asking a person about a general topic.

6) Madonna was a Naked Eyes fan. Are you a Madonna fan?
I like some of her music but basically it is a different generation of music. My mother hated her and one day we were watching the movie “A League of Their Own” and my mother loved the movie. I pointed out that Madonna in the movie and I think that it changed her mind about the her.

7) In 1983, when this song was on the radio, the Lotus 1-2-3 program made it easier for PC users to build spreadsheets. Are you answering these questions on a PC or a Mac? Laptop or desktop? Android or iPhone?
A Laptop PC.

But I have a story about Lotus 1-2-3.
VisiCalc was the original spreadsheet program and I was using it on my Apple II+  long before Lotus.

8) Also in 1983, America West Airlines took off for the first time, taking passengers from Las Vegas to Phoenix. Where did you go on your first flight? What about your most recent flight?
First light 1967 to Orlando, the last flight to Pittsburgh PA on a private jet.

9) Random question -- Finish this statement: If I knew then what I know now, I would have ______________.
"been a millionaire". Just think of all the stock you could buy!


Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend! 

6 comments:

  1. I hope you get to that music festival this year. I clicked the link and that looks like one very happy summer gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your answer to number 5 interesting. There certain thing in life we need hired professional.
    I play and coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A League of Their Own was a great movie. I hope you make the music festival. Things like that do become harder as we age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #5 is so true--different people offer different types of advice and feedback.

    I hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. #9. The one time I needed my DH to listen to me and buy a certain stock was when I wanted him to sell off all the (big multinational brute) and buy Qualcomm stock. We could have been multi-billionaires. Instead we got cashed out several years later. Oh well, maybe it's best for the spiritual part of being. hehe

    ReplyDelete