Saturday, April 22, 2023

Saturday 9: I Won't Be the One to Let Go


On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Barbra Streisand begins by singing about dreams and wishes. What are you wishing for this morning?
Get my health back, I get out of breath just by walking to the mailbox by the street.

2) Barry Manilow sings that "anytime you need me, you'll know where I am." If a friend needs you, what's the best way to reach you (text, phone call, email, knock on the front door ...)?
Email or landline. The worst is a text, next worst is the cell phone.

3) Both of this week's artists are from Brooklyn. In addition to Barry and Barbra, Brooklyn is home to Coney Island, where America's first roller coaster debuted in 1884. Do you enjoy amusement park rides? If yes, do you have a favorite?
Nope. Not since I was a teenager, now it will throw my back out.

4) Barbra and her husband, actor James Brolin, have lived in the same Malibu home for more than 25 years. How long have you been in your current residence? Do you think you'll be moving anytime soon?
Nope, I hope that I will be able to live at my house until I croak and pushing up daisies.

5) Barry Manilow once lived in luxurious Bel Air. His neighbors were former President and Mrs. Reagan. At first he thought it would be great to have the Reagans nearby but quickly changed his mind because he disliked the Secret Service helicopters flying overhead. Tell us about one of your neighbors. (No pressure; we don't expect to hear about historic figures.)
He is a dozy. He is a MAGA. Need I say anything more? He has three Trump flags flying, and when Obama was president he had on his mailbox a picturethe with President Obama being urinated on. Needless to say I avoid him.

6) As a teenager, Barbra worked as a switchboard operator. Her job consisted of connecting calls by inserting phone plugs into the appropriate jacks. As telephoning became automated, these jobs were phased out and by 1983, the switchboard operator was obsolete. Can you think of another occupation that used to be common but doesn't exist anymore?
Toll booth ticket taker. Now it is all electronic, i just got a $1.00 bill from Massachusetts.

7) Loyal Fanilows can subscribe to ManilowTV. For $9.95/month, fans can watch exclusive content, like interviews and concert performances. Do you more often watch live broadcast TV or streamed content?
Neither. I am on a kick right now watching train videos from the cab.



8) In 2002, the year this recording was released, the Sears Wish Book offered seven different collectible Barbies. According to Mattel, the doll's manufacturer, there are more than 100,000 Barbie collectors all over the world. Do you collect anything?
Bills.

9) Random question: Are you exclusively an online/ATM bank customer, or do you often go into the branch and interact with a teller?
I go to either the drive-thru or go inside. I like to interact with the teller, many of them know me by name.
 
Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

9 comments:

  1. Pennsylvania did away with the toll takers, too, but they are considering bringing them back because they've been highly unsuccessful in collecting the billed fees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the last time I went into a bank was when I thought my bank card wasn't working, but I was trying to use the wrong card. The bank teller helped me that day...hahahaha. I probably should not have left the house that day. That was a few years ago. I was a drive thru person before that when I was younger.
    I love trains! Enjoy your videos. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and I communicate the same way.
    I think your neighbor sounds scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your neighbor sounds like some of mine. I avoid them as much as possible. I think it's important to have a relationship with your banking folks. You never know who can help you if you need a loan. Your favorite teller could one day be a loan officer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They’ve done away with toll booths around here, if you don’t have an EZ Pass they’ll read your license plate and send you a bill.

    Your neighbor sounds like a real joy. 🙄

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your neighbor makes me shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Richard Nelson4/22/23, 4:42 PM

    I think your neighbor is a good example of what Roque Dalton was describing when he said, "Always remember that even the least fascist among us is still a fascist." Your neighbor is one of the people who puts these fascist clowns in office and is a danger to humanity. Please keep him far away from you as possible. I love trains too whenever I go places it is by train. Cars? never learned to drive one. I have the same problem as you as far as walking places I go up to the main road and have to sit down. Puts a real damper on a person who likes to walk. Be well and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That neighbor of yours... GAH! I live in a republican hot spot. They pretty much keep quiet about it now, but there have been times.....
    I think that train vids are amazing, and did you know there are ones about the trains in Norway? I've watched all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have also been watching the Norway train video, right now I have been watching a video of trains in Bosnia and Herzegovina through Neretva River canyon.

      Delete