Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Hedwig…

Hedwig and the Angry Inch is coming to Broadway! Playbill reports that,
The Broadway premiere of Hedwig and the Angry Inch, starring Neil Patrick Harris, begins rehearsals March 10. 

Hedwig and the Angry Inch will begin previews March 29 at the Belasco, prior to an official opening April 22. The musical will continue through Aug. 17.
[…]
The dramatic musical comedy began Off Off-Broadway at Westbeth and then ran over two years at the Jane Street Theatre beginning in February 1998. Hedwig and the Angry Inch won the Outer Critics Circle Award for Best Off-Broadway Musical, and both John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask won Obies. Hedwig and the Angry Inch won a 1998 New York Magazine Award and Entertainment Weekly's "Soundtrack of the Year" Award.
I first saw Hedwig in the movies and it was one of the first times that I went out in public as Diana. Then in 2003 I went to see it at the Hartford Stage Theater and it was the first play that I saw since elementary school; John Cameron Mitchel stared and played Hedwig in the movie and at Hartford Stage Anthony Rapp played Hedwig. I wrote in my diary.
 I went to the Hartford Stage Company presentation of “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” last night. There were ten of us from COS and one from Unity who went to the show and I sat in the second row stage right, so I had a very good seat. The show was very dynamic, driving, and full of energy. I was interested in how the play would differ from the movie; the play was a narrative about the life of Hedwig interspersed with the music. It was like a narrative rock concert. Anthony Rapp of “Rent” fame played Hedwig, he gave an excellent performance, and he sang beautifully.

Before the movie three of us went to dinner at the “City Steam” just around the corner and after the play five of us went to the “Chez Est,” a night club, for a couple of drinks. It is a Gay bar, I didn’t partially like it, and all of the guys were staring at us. It was a good night out on the town.
I would love to see it again in Hartford.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could go see it! I love Neil Patrick Harris, he'd be fantastic in it.

    ReplyDelete