Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Gee, I Didn’t Know

One time when Senator Lieberman came to the Rainbow Room at the University of Connecticut in Storrs to talk about the repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell (DADT); I asked him if the bill covered gender identity and after a brief huddle with his aids he said no, but that he was in favor of permitting trans-people to serve in the military. When I reported what I said and his reply on a national “LGBT” blog, I got stepped on for “highjacking” a Gay issue. Whenever I wrote about DADT I always mentioned that gender identity was not covered. I saw many comments about not being covering trans-servicemembers on national LGBT blog.

However, when a national lesbian leader who worked for the HRC (Human Rights Campaign) said she didn’t know that DADT didn’t cover gender identity it didn’t come as a surprise.
What Would You Say If Someone Asked You, 'Are You Transgender?'
Huffington Gay Voices
By Fiona Dawson
Posted: 02/28/2014

I think it's safe to say that I am aware of my emotions. When I saw my friend Marine Staff Sergeant Eric Alva standing behind President Obama as the latter signed the Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Act of 2010, I, along with countless others, exuded euphoria!

The blood, sweat and tears that had gone into ending years of discrimination against lesbian, gay and bisexual service members appeared to be washed away. Eric and I had spoken together at several Human Rights Campaign (HRC) dinners. We advocated for repeal by stating that sexual orientation does not negatively affect someone's ability to serve. We had been a part of making change happen.

But what I didn't realize was that we had been shortchanged. My own ignorance had prevented me from fully appreciating what work was left to be done and who had been left behind.
She goes on to write that she worked with Allyson Robinson to raise money for HRC for the repeal of DADT but that she didn’t know that trans-servicemembers were not included. She said that after the celebrating the repeal of DADT she learned,
I can't remember the day I learned that transgender people were still banned from serving in the United States military. But I do know I met that fact with shock. How shortsighted of me to not consider them in our work. Why had I not known this before?
Am I surprised that someone working for HRC didn’t know that the repeal didn’t cover trans-servicemembers? No. Am I surprised that the HRC isn’t strongly pushing for a gender inclusive military? No (I checked their website and I couldn’t find anything about trans-military personnel, if I wrong please tell me.). Am I surprised that many Gays and Lesbians don’t care about trans-servicemembers? No.

Most people are only interested in their narrow world around them, if an issue doesn’t overlap their sphere of interests they don’t care and gays and lesbians are no different. So when you hear that they will come back for you, don’t hold your breath. There are exceptions but they are few and far between, I do know some lesbians and gays who do care and I do know straight people who also care, but I believe that most people will do not do anything unless it is a thorn in their side.

1 comment: