Saturday, December 07, 2013

Saturday 9: Stand by Me

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Stand by Me



1) "Stand by Me" is one of the songs John Lennon did at his last public performance back in 1975. First recorded by Ben E. King, "Stand by Me" was also covered by Mickey Gilley and Otis Redding, among others. Can you think of another song that has been recorded and then re-recorded by someone else?
Um, I lousy at these type of questions… “I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas”

2) The lyrics say, "Whenever you're in trouble, you can stand by me." Tell us about someone you know you can count on.
My brother.

3) While "Stand by Me" was solo Lennon, John is best known as one of the Beatles. Which group do you listen to more often -- The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?
Since I listen to the Sirius radio most of the time it depends on which group they play the most.

4) Lennon liked to tell how, when he and Paul McCartney were teens, Paul's father used to discourage friendship between the boys. Paul ignored his dad's advice and the result is the most successful songwriting partnership of the 20th century. Tell us about a piece of advice you're glad you ignored.
The advice my home room teacher in high school that I wouldn’t ever be an engineer and amount to much, that I should learn a trade instead. Talk about inspiring your students.

5) John loved cats. When he was a teenager, he first met his favorite, a stray he named Tich, in the snow and gave the cat a safe, lifelong home. John was very proud that Tich lived to be 20 years old. Tell us about a pet who has a place in your heart.
Our dog, when he died it upset me so much that I didn’t want to have another pet again and to get attached to.

6) John unsuccessfully tried hypnosis in his quest to stop smoking. Have you ever been hypnotized?
Yes, to lose weight. It didn’t work but I had a good nap.

7) John has been inducted into both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame. What Hall of Fame would like to see yourself in?
The navel contemplater hall of fame. I can spend hours thinking about why some people have inies and some people have outies bellybuttons.

8) John had a passion for slot cars and raced them on an elaborate track in his game room. What games or toys do you still enjoy?
Backgammon.

9) John wrote about his jealous streak. What personality trait of yours do you wish you could change?
My shyness. I am so envious of people who can strike up a conversation with anyone.

5 comments:

  1. I'm one of those that can talk to anyone, and have met some great friends that way. Just remember - they're the same as you - they put their pant legs on one at a time. Don't be scared. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Navel gazing hall of fame? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the shyness thing. I wish I could talk to anyone. That would help me out so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always *say* you struggle with the pop culture questions, but look at you this week! "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby is the best selling record of all time, so every other version we hear (and we hear a lot of them this season!) is a cover version. If I was a gameshow host I'd give you another spin of the wheel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd probably not lose weight either and get that good nap in :)

    ReplyDelete