Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Outreach Tonight

It is going to be a difficult outreach, the outreach is at the UConn Health Center, and I am going to be on the panel for Global Health and Human Rights film series with doctors to discuss the movie “Cruel And Unusual.” The movie is about,
Cruel and Unusual: Transgender Women in Prison (USA).
Documentary by Janet Baus & Dan Hunt. (2006)

Imagine being a woman in a men's prison. For many individuals, this is a grim reality because the U.S. prison system decides where to place inmates based on their genitalia, not their gender identity. This award-winning documentary makes an unflinching examination of transgender women in men's prisons. Ashley, Linda, Anna, Yolanda and Ophelia describe their experiences undergoing inhumane and humiliating treatment including rape, violence, solitary confinement and denial of medical care. One interviewee explains. "A lot of times I wake up, and I look around at my surroundings, and I see all these men. I think, 'What am I doing here?'" The women in Cruel and Unusual don't deny that they must serve their sentences, but their stories raise very important questions about their treatment.
I watched yesterday and it was hard to watch it was just so emotional watching these women being revictimized over and over again.

I will update you on how it went on tomorrow’s blog.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment