Monday, December 16, 2013

Dreaming…

When I was little I told Santa that I wanted a pair of ice skates.

I dreamed of waking up on Christmas morning to find a pair of white figure skates under the tree for me.

When I woke up Christmas morning and rushed down the stairs to find a big box from Santa under the tree that looked like it might be a pair.

I ripped off the wrapping paper and there were my pair of ice skate…. HOCKEY SKATES!

WHAT??????

My father said when he talked to the gym teacher (my father was a principal of a high school), he recommended hockey skates so that I could play hockey. I had absolutely no interest in playing hockey and none of my friends played hockey, but I kept my mouth shut and thanked my parents for the ice skates. So as my friends glided around the pond in their figure skates (black of course) I struggled to keep up with them with my hockey skates.

I still dream of skating in a pair of white figure skates; but I realized at my age my bones are not getting any stronger and the ice isn’t getting any softer.

No comments:

Post a Comment