Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Once Again, We Are The Small t in LGBt

Once again, elements of the Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual community has shown that they do not understand the trans-community. A trans-man was kicked off of Bisexual dating web-site...
Bi personals site boots trans member
by Ethan Jacobs
Bay Windows
Wednesday Jul 9, 2008

UPDATED July 3 2008

When Nick Teich created a free account on the online personals site BisexualDatingNow.com last week, he decided to disclose that he is transgender. Perhaps he shouldn’t have.

"They say, tell us about yourself in your own words. And I stated, ’I’m a 25-year old trans guy living in Boston.’ ... I didn’t want to mislead anyone looking at my profile, so that’s why I put that," said Teich. Within a day he had received three "smiles," which members send to express their interest in getting to know each other.

Teich thought little of his decision until he wrote to the site’s customer service staff about a problem he was having using the site. He exchanged e-mails with a customer service representative named Kiar Dupuis, and after reading his profile Dupuis informed him that the site does not allow transgender users.

"I am sorry, as a transgender, our site would not meet your needs. I am afraid we have to remove your profile," wrote Dupuis, according to an e-mail provided to Bay Windows by Teich. His profile was deleted shortly after he received the e-mail.

Brian Brown, chief technical officer for TangoWire, confirmed that the company does not allow transgender people to create profiles on the site. When asked why identifying as transgender would exclude someone from identifying as bisexual and placing a personal ad on a bisexual dating site, Brown reiterated that TangoWire’s site does not accommodate transgender people.

"It’s that T side [in LGBT] that we have not been able to fully accommodate within our program. That is shown [by the fact] that in our registration, transgender is not one of the options we provide, and we don’t provide that as such. ... That identity is not an identity we have an ability to support," said Brown.
I just do not understand why they cannot allow trans-people on their site. “LGB” is a sexual orientation; “T” is a gender identity. I am a trans-woman and I am attracted to women. I have trans-women friends who are attracted to men, I have trans-women friends who are Bi, I have trans-men friends who are attracted to women and I have trans-men friends who are attracted to men. I just do not understand what the problem is, do they think that transsexuals are only attracted to other transsexuals?
Brown told Bay Windows that despite TangoWire’s exclusion of transgender customers the company strongly supports the LGBT community.

"The founder and CEO is gay, and we have an operations person who is gay. It’s a very liberal workforce and company as a whole," said Brown.
Oh, and that is suppose to make me feel better, that we are being discriminated against by our own community?

No comments:

Post a Comment