Thursday, July 17, 2008

Newport Daycation

Welcome to my little summer home by the sea…
My backyard…
Yesterday I went with some friends over to Newport RI to visit the Mansions; we went to the Breakers (pictured above) and Rosecliff mansions. Of the two I was more impressed with Rosecliff than the Breakers. I think that the Breakers is just big, ostentatious and grandiose; with a lot of big, big rooms some seventy in all. Most of the rooms that were shown in the tour had twenty-foot high ceilings and some of the rooms had more square footage than my whole house. The mansion was built by Cornelius Vanderbilt II and was built in 1893, in the style of the mansions in Europe.
The other mansion that we visited was Rosecliff. The rooms were large but the ceiling were only about ten feet high making the rooms seem smaller. The design was based on the French palaces of Louis XIV in Versailles, but on a much smaller scale and everything was white. The Rosecliff’s ballroom was used as a movie location for numerous movies; The Great Gatsby, The Betsy, High Society, True Lies, and Amistad.



After we toured the two mansions we went over to Point Judith to have dinner at Aunt Carrie’s, I had to have my clam fritters (clam cakes). Don’t expect anything fancy there, it is your typical seafood fare, lots of fried, broiled and boiled seafood, but it is fresh from local waters. I had; Rhode Island clam chowder (it is Rhode Island, so I felt that I should forgo the New England clam chowder.), clam fritters and fried whole belly clams.

The view from just outside of Aunt Carrie’s looking toward Point Judith lighthouse.

2 comments:

  1. I grew up not far from here and I must say...perfect way to spend a hot summer day. Thanks for sharing the pics...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete