Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Are We Having Fun Yet?

Or the never-ending battle of my name change.
A couple of weeks ago, I got a letter from an insurance company addressed to my deceased father about the company new privacy policy… hmm. So I looked into it and it turned out that he had an insurance policy on me. I contacted them and they said that they wanted a copy of the Probate Court order assigning an administrator for his estate, well there was never one assigned by the courts. So off I went to the Probate Court and I was assigned as the administratrix, however, the order was for Diana and the policy was for Donald. The court clerk was very good and she helped me out, she added AKA Donald to the paperwork and told me what to send to the insurance company. Seeing my long face, she said, “Are we having fun yet?” and we both chuckled. She then said, don’t worry everything will turn out all right and it did. I got the new paperwork from the insurance company made out to Diana.

In addition, I am having a problem with my former employer with my benefits. After almost a year, they changed my paperwork back to Donald. I have been emailing them back in forth for over two weeks trying to get it straighten out. I couldn’t understand what was so complicated that it was taken close to three weeks to change my name. I was starting to get really mad because the only thing I could think of was someone had a objection with me being trans. Since the only answer I was getting from them is that we are researching your case and please be patient. AGH! I offered them some suggestion to clear the problem up; I could sent them another copy of the Probate Court order changing my name, they could talk to my old boss, they can check with Social Security or I could go to the HR department here in Connecticut. They told me to contact HR, I contacted my friend in HR and she contacted the Benefits Center, well it seems it was more than just a name change problem. From what she could figure out from the mish mash that they sent her, Diana got laid off on July 11 of last year (that was the date that I sent them my name change paperwork, not June when I was laid off.) and Donald got rehired last month (when my severance ran out). So she is working to straighten out my paperwork and the only thing I really care about right now, is that I still have my health insurance coverage.

I still have an ongoing battle with some of my stocks that they do not want to just change my name, they want to transfer ownership, in other words, sell the stock to myself. Which is a no no because I would have to pay capital gains on the transaction.

Are we having fun yet…

1 comment:

  1. How frustrating! Not fun, not fun at all. I hope it all gets straightened out soon.

    ReplyDelete