Saturday, December 16, 2023

Saturday 9: The Christmas Blues

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
 

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, Dean Martin sings that the streets are white with snow. Do you anticipate a White Christmas this year?
HA! It is forecasted to be in the forties! I am glazing in my crystal ball… I foresee very little snow once again this winter. Our winters here are becoming more like South Carolina or Georgia winters

2) He tells us he's done plenty of window shopping this season. Do you find you're influenced by a retailer's window dressing and store decor? Are you more motivated by price? Or do you do most of your shopping online, making holiday decorations irrelevant?
Nope, I haven’t gone out shopping in decades for Christmas gifts,

3) Dean was born in Steubenville, OH. Though he rarely returned to his hometown, it was in his thoughts during the holidays. Every Christmas he made like Santa and sent toys to hospitalized children in the Steubenville area. Are there toys on your shopping list this year?

Well… it depends upon what you mean by toys. Is a new lens for my camera considered a new toy?

4) He had fast hands when it came to cards and before he was famous he worked as a dealer in Atlantic City. When you play cards, what's your favorite game?
Hearts.

5) Dean Martin was an avid reader ... of comic books. Especially im bed when he was on the road and couldn't sleep. Much as he enjoyed comic books, he was embarrassed by them. What do you do when you can't sleep?
Well… Ah… Um… I… er… Smoke a little bit of pot. I woke up around 2 last night night and couldn’t get back to sleep so I gave up around 4 and smoked a little Sativa. I woke up again around 8.

Now let's have a few holiday-specific questions:
 
6) Every year, the United States Postal Service introduces special holiday stamps. Do you purchase them?
Nope. I stopped sending out cards. Now it seems like everyone is sending postcard and Christmas cards.
 
7) Do you have a funny/ugly holiday sweater?
Nope. I did have holiday earrings though, now I a have only one earring.
 
8) Do you wrap your presents or use gift bags?
When I do give gifts I do both.

9) We're doing Christmas karaoke! What holiday or winter-themed song will you perform?
Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer… when it is time for everyone to leave, that is when I sing. It drives them right our of the house.

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!



What a wild right home Monday! I closed up the cottage last weekend and headed home Monday morning.

I left the cottage at 6 AM and it was just very windy.

When I got to Eastham and it is pouring cats and dogs, wipers on high, everyone was doing 25 mph.

At the Orleans rotary still doing 25 – 30 on Suicide 6 [Suicide 6 got its name from all the head-on accidents, the road goes from a 4 lane road down to a 2 lane road for 13 miles then it changes in to a divided highway.], it was still pouring but not as heavy, speed is now up to 35, puddles everywhere! My idiot light on the dash keeps on blinking “Traction”

A gray car is tailgating me.

More puddles! Cars are fishtailing through the puddles.

Back to fours lanes divided highway and the gray tailgating me is a state police car!!!

A big, big puddle several inches deep, I slow to 25. A car on the left lane goes flying through the puddle and goes squirrely, fishtailing back and forth.

Another squall line, pouring rain, twenty, thirty feet visibility. Rt. 6 [Route 6 goes from Provincetown to California] looks like a river.

Traffic back up to 60. I randomly go through puddles… “Traction,” “Traction”

Another squall line, traffic is down to 35. Cars and trucks in the right lane go flying by and go through a puddle… brake lights come on. That is the wrong thing to do when hydroplaning! They almost lose it, fishtailing back and forth.

I get to the Sagamore bridge and it is light rain. A really big puddle on Rt. 6 between the Sagamore bridge and Rt. 25. I mean big! It is almost like a brook. So big I take a side road instead of going through it, the back roads were just as bad.

On to I-195 traffic is going 50, most of the driver are driving sane except a “crazy” now and then.
Beach Pond in Volutown CT was the highest that I ever seen it, it was almost over Rt. 165. But the rain has stopped.

I made it home at 11. Five hours for a normal under 4 hour drive.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, your drive sounds terrifying. I hate driving in those types of conditions. I think doing whatever you need to do to get rest is legit. No judgment here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your answer to #9 made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your drive sounds terrible!
    It has been so warm so far this season. We'll see how it goes. We do not get a lot of snow anyway, but I am hopeful for January and February. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading about your drives makes me remember why I hate going on the freeway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was some drive you had! I'm glad you made it home safely. I'll have to remember Rudolph...though I'm pretty sure no matter what I'd sing it would clear the room. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete